Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 AM

My db properties here. I have been using UR for five years now and in the meantime I have one database only where I add all my daily business stuff. I am importing files (xls, doc, ppt, txt, pdf) without indexing them to not bloat the db. Instant search works fine and the size of the db doesn't matter anymore.

Dominik
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Here's mine. I have been using this DB since June 2008 when I first purchased URp.

Thanks!

Jim
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM

Here one I created by importing technical documentation for major software platform.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 AM

Question Database Capacity: Upper Limits & Performance Issues?

This thread is amazing!

From the feedback everyone has shared is it safe to assume UR has an unlimited capacity?!?

Or, are there any performance issues I need to be aware of (in working with a larger database) other than the ones mentioned here: http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3627&highlight=database+size

With appreciation and interest,
Metta
Old 12-11-2023, 12:43 PM

URD DB: 219k items. Size 34g, Stored Document: 14g. Performed Well

Was bored for few hours this morning. I thought, let me push UR some more Not only, UR took all this data, it performed just fine. No noticeable degradation whatsoever.
Notice how efficient UR was in terms of memory: < 55MB.

Measuring performance: Times for
1) Opening UR DB: < 2 secs
2) Switching across info items: < 1 secs
3) Info items content scroll: Smooth. No slowdown
4) Search: single keywords: < 2 secs
5) Search: Phrases: < 2 secs
6) Closing UR DB: < 2 secs

I did this exercise to see how much data UR can handle in comparison to other tools I have been using lately. For example, About 2 years ago, I migrated my GTD database to Obsidian because I wanted to make it available on my iOS device. When the total size of the Obsidian vault hit near 2.5g after iCloud finished syncing it, Obsidian was no longer able to open the vault on iOS. It is been three days now and it is still stuck trying to open it.

Modern PKM's and note apps that use web technologies do provide great benefits in terms of portability and features. But, nothing comes close to native apps that are developed from the grounds up like UR. The fact that I have been able to use the same URD file for the past > 15 yrs is just amazing to say the least.

I'm back to using UR for my GTD (my entire life organized) and accessing it via a remote desktop app on my iOS.

One added benefit is that I have all my data on a home PC. No more using 'third parties' that take 'your privacy seriously' until they don't. Let alone possibility of cloud storage breaches what have been and continue to be a prime target for internet pirates.
Attached Images

Last edited by cnewtonne; 12-11-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:56 PM

Although my main database is just a sizable fraction of your example, I completely agree with your observations.

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: