Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 AM

Access Violation with Firefox Copy Url Button

I keep getting Access Violation when I use the Firefox Copy URL Button.

When I clicked the saved item in Ultra Recall, I also had another access violation, although I was not able to capture it.

This leaves me with a nagging doubt whether such frequent violations with damage the captured database (including that of other items stored) that I would not discover until much later on when I'm looking for something.

Wouldn't that be a disaster.

What can one do to gain better confidence in Ultra Recall data safety from corruption by access violation, not only mentioned here but also in other threads in this forum
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2007, 10:32 AM

I use UR with FF with no issues. Does your's happen on all sites or just specific ones. It the later, can you share the URL so we can double check too.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

That error affects the GUI only and will not lead to database corruption. Please ZIP and send or post:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) Run RegEdit and export the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall"

Also, does the problem occur in a new database? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Unhappy

My apologies for not replying sooner.

I was away in a place with no internet connection

I think the url was

http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic....894&highlight=

Unfortunately I cannot now replicate the error.

Thanks for the idea to start a new file should I encounter such an error. That would certainly narrow things down.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 AM

I'm experiencing access violations again. It happens with the Firefox Copy to Ultra Recall button.

I guess this tend to indicate it's with Firefox, but this could simply be because I use Firefox as my main browser.

I rarely use Internet Explorer.

I also did not experience many access violations since my last post, mostly because I stopped using Ultra Recall out of frustration with this issue. But I have lately started to try to use Ultra Recall again. Hence the problem.

I have tried to copy the error messages. But often, when it happens, my laptop also hangs or runs very very slowly. Hence I have no choice but to do a forced shutdown.

This problem of Access violations is a real pain that make me worry that someday, I may lose the entire file. Besides, having to reboot is also a pain and such a waste of valuable time.

Perhaps we can have some debug version so that when something like that happens, kinook can better trace the problem.

I use several other programs and I can only remember one other program that had this Access Violation problem. But that has been solved now.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

That error affects the GUI only and will not lead to database corruption. Please ZIP and send or post:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) Run RegEdit and export the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall"

Also, does the problem occur in a new database? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 AM

Hi Kinook

My apologies,

I somehow missed your previous post about sending the installed info and reg.

I have now done that and emailed the data to support@kinook.com.

As for whether this problem happens with a new file - I will from now start with a new file to see how it goes over the next few days and feedback to you if it happens.

By the way, I did a compact and repair on the file that I was having access violation. There were no error messages from the compact and repair. So I assume that the file is in order. But I still had the access violations with it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 AM

I have just started a new file.

I have tested some of the urls that were giving me problems and some new ones.

My initial results are that there were No Access Violations and that is great.

If each time I have this problem, I have to start a new file, what about all the data that is previously collected.

How safe is it to bring it over to the new file ?

Is there a way to repair the file or transfer just the data and relationships over safely.

Right now, it is probably no big deal since I have barely started. But what when it happens much later ?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Please ZIP and send the problem .urd file (use something like http://www.mailbigfile.com if it is large).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: