Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 AM

Capturing screen shots of GMails

I often receive GMails in an external browser that I want to capture, as a web page, into UR. Sometimes when I make the capture, only the original GMail log-on page is displayed. Sometimes, by using "select all" and then making the capture, it comes across successfully. And sometimes nothing at all comes across despite using "select all".

I use IE7.

Normally web capture in UR works quite well, but for some reason GMails are an exception.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Select all/copy in IE has been reliable for us. The next time this happens, please download, extract, and run ftp://ftp.kinook.com/ClipSpy.zip, select HTML Format in the list in ClipSpy, choose File | Save Selected Data, and ZIP and send the saved file to support@kinook.com. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Kinook. Thank you for that. In fact I find that Select all / copy does indeed work. Many thanks.

What does not seem to work consistently is using the special funnel shaped UR import icon in IE7. Sometimes Select all prior to using the icon helps. Sometimes not.

Is it better to use select all / copy / paste for all screen captures instead of the icon?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
Is it better to use select all / copy / paste for all screen captures instead of the icon?
Just butting in...

I've found that Select All is more reliable for pages with frames or pages that are behind secure logins.

The UR menu bar buttons are handy for sites that I copy from frequently and have established that UR can copy the entire page reliably.

Unfortunately, determining which sites require which procedure can be frustrating - too often I have to check an inital page capture to see which way to go.

Good, Bad, or Ugly - I've just resigned myself to work with what UR has to offer and hope for improvements down the road.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Ashwken - I too find pages behind secure logins difficult with the funnel icon. At least, as you say, there is a workaround.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Just to clarify, sometimes I make assumptions...

After doing the Select All (Ctrl-A), then the UR menu bar Button or right-click menu to copy to UR works fine - or link to UR - my preference is to copy to UR so that the material is available offline.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Ashwken, yes, I always make actual stored copies as you do. And to confirm, situations where I try to screen capture from the likes of GMail involving a log-in usually only end up copying the log-on page where using the UR menu button in IE7 (or the right click menu) to make the capture. Sometimes "Select All" first will help, sometimes not.

But "Select All", copy, and then paste, completely solves the problem.

Like you, the frustration is knowing when the menu button (or right click button) will or will not work.

I do wonder, therefore, whether it is not best always to use the Select all, copy, and then paste routine which, I think, will always work. (I also wonder why this can't be coded under the UR menu button).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: