Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 03:46 PM
Administrator

I was unable to reproduce this behavior. Using the attached database, with 'Perform phrase match by default' checked, there are 3 results when searching on

Art. 10

(matching only items that have "Art. 10" in the item text) and 5 results with that option unchecked (also matching items that have Art. and 10 somewhere in the item text).

Please send the info from

https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3038
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (83.1 KB, 766 views)
Old 06-28-2021, 06:58 AM

Thank you for answering, Kyle! I must admit that after rising my main database's item count over 100,000 items (which caused real problems, see my thread "Reasonable database sizes"), and then setting it back to about 75,000 items (with the only (I thought) - persisting - problem left that after ^x, the item's icons are not greyed-out anymore - I decided I could live with that), I have NOT yet created a NEW main database, into which I then would have imported all my 75,000 items.

Thus, the behavior I described above, may be another "database having been too big" phenomenon indeed; before mentioning possible other glitches I may discover, I'll note them somewhere in-between, will re-create my main database, then check again if the problem persists, then only will mention it here in case!

(After the resizing back down to about 75,000 items, I obviously ran Tools - Compact and Repair - Enable enhanced full-text search features", so whilst this obviously - since you weren't able to re-create the phenomenon - is not an indexing problem (possibly connected to indexing of abbreviations and/or numbers); my command would have re-created the full index if I'm not mistaken), it should be connected to some "general instability residuals" after my blowing the database size up too much.)

EDIT: I now have created new databases, i.e. I copied most of my items from the "problem" database into a newly-created one, and some into another newly-created one, so my main database has got currently about 60,000 items. Since the flag formatting is database-specific, I also had to re-create the flag-formattings for both newly-created databases (I should perhaps create an empty database with those formattings, then copy that for filling it up with possible moves.)

Problem "^x will not grey-out the icon": Persists in newly-created main database with 60,000 item, does not persist in newly-created, tiny database. Thus: UR has problems with big databases in this respect; I can live with that, but it's useful to know about it. Obviously has nothing to do with previous over-resizing(s).

Problem "Default phrase search by option also finds the parts of the phrase": Is more general (in all three databases, the "source" one and the two newly created "target" ones): ANY phrase search gives unwanted results, any
wordone wordtwo
phrase (and, as said, "wordone wordtwo" works as expected):

Both parts are highlighted within result items, i.e. any occurrence of wordone, and and occurence of wordtwo, and even when wordone or wordtwo (I checked both) are in the middle of another word, e.g. abcwordtwoxyz, wordtwo in this example is highlighted.

On the other hand, it seems - I checked numerous such results - that in order to list an item as a search result, both parts, in correct order, have to be there as a phrase, i.e.
wordone wordtwo
exactly in this order, anywhere in the item in question; it's just that the part (and even within other words) are all highlighted this way then.

When I include the phrase within "", just the phrase occurrences are highlighted though, which is the expected behavior.

I can live with that, i.e. I just do phrase searches the traditional way, in "". (Here again, I had re-installed UR even before, so any trace of my "125,000 items in a single database adventure" should have been gone now. Perhaps it's "my system", in some way or another... as said, I can live with those glitches.

Last edited by Spliff; 06-28-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:44 AM

Re Shortcuts for "Search titles only", etc. (see above): Non-mnemonic shortcuts are better than are no shortcuts at all. ;-)

And I had to realize that AutoHotkey "ControlClick, Button8, ahk_exe UltraRecall.exe" and variants of that are totally unreliable, while it's evident that for many UR users, "just titles" is an important switch, and for others, "whole words" may be...

As for an intermediate solution, UR users could use something like controlsend, Button8, {space}, ahk_exe UltraRecall.exe, which makes a reliable toggle.

Re the Search Results pane (which you will not like to stay beyond situational usefulness if you don't use the Child Items pane anyway), I tried some ways of coping with the problem (to have to first activate it by ^3, then close it by +F4, since a global "hide" command is missing; it's true that some users might also wish for such a thing for other panes, but then, they will probably want to see those anytime, whilst the search results are quite special: everybody needs that pane, but JUST after searching), including the command for automatic hiding of the pane in question (it's in the context menu for each pane), and I was not happy with the latter at all, so it's scripting again, but I'm sure a special "hide search results" command would arrange almost any user.

All the more so since in Autohotkey at least, I didn't find any solution for sending the necessary +{F4} to that pane, neither by any of several "send" commands, nor by controlsend. Thus, my macro has to retrieve the position of the pane, then add (about) 12 pix to the horizontal position and subtract (!) 12 pix to the vertical position (since I finally need the context menu of the caption, not of the list), then I send a rightclick to that position, and then, finally, I can send a "c", for "close (the pane)" to the pane's caption's context menu - that only works... Or then, some UR command "toggle the ^3 pane" (children, search results; ^c shows it in case, then sets focus to it: that's obviously different)... ;-)

Btw, I had also tried (manual) double-click on the ^3-pane caption, and that was overly (exceedingly) successful: Neither ^c nor a new search brought that pane up again, I had to close and re-open UR. I then did the same thing again, in order to verify, and again, the pane disappeared for good, and not even closing and re-opening UR did help: Perhaps the double-click, or some other means obviously had made the pane "floating", and it was now shifted beyond my screen (to the right of it), even for searches and child items display of other (!) databases. (Good to know it's beyond the screen (and thus is retrievable) if it has disappeared for good, then.)

And finally, when it's easy to close that window, the user might even resize its size and position - this comes handy with long search results lists -, e.g. placing it all over the Data Explorer, given the fact that navigation to some search result in the latter will kill the search results lists anyway; in order to situationally resize according to your respective needs, you'd need scripting though, again. (UR has a functionality for several "layouts", so if you can easily change them on-the-fly, that might be another way of doing things.)

Re the highlighting of the search results: Stable since a week or so, and not having done anything with any setting (or then, inadvertently perhaps?), the highlighted search results are black on RED, instead of black on yellow, and that of course infers with readability, besides the fact that it's aggressive on the eye. Any ideas as to possible causes?

Re highlighting the search results terms again: As we all know, any editing of ONE result item also breaks the highlighting of the terms in the other results. I don't know if doing away with this very unwanted behavior might be challenging, code-wise, or too much of recoding work?

Last edited by Spliff; 08-12-2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Multiple additions & corrections the same day
Old 08-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Select another highlight color to change it to something else.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:20 PM

Where would I do that?

I have looked into https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2267 ("How to change the fonts & colors in UR"), which speaks of Windows settings, but those have not been changed, and in my browser for example, selections are white on green, as always.

Also, in that link, it says, "Different variations of window colors and styles can also be chosen by changing the Paint theme at Tools | Customize | Options in Ultra Recall." - I looked into this, but didn't find any such setting in there.

It's just that in UR, search terms in search results are now black (not white e.g.) on red, instead of black on yellow, as before, and for no apparent reason.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Go to or create a text item, type some text, select it, and highlight it with the color that is desired. Future searches will use that highlight color.

Here is a screen shot of the mentioned Paine theme option.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2021, 05:14 AM

Thanks, I know that, I always have it as "Office 2010 Blue" and didn't change that. (Always show full menus, large icons no, show screen tips no, menu animations no).

So I changed the theme to some others, including yours, closed UR, re-opened it, and my search terms continue to be black on (or "in") red (background), instead of yellow background, so the theme obviously is not responsible for this. (Windows neither, I think, I hadn't changed any settings, and there was no Windows update before, just yesterday evening, and I've seen this - continuing - behavior for around a good week.) - I add a screenshot on my turn since this is quite "crazy" a phenomenon indeed; it's a search result for "gpt", from the item being displayed by single click on the item name in the Search Results pane.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spliff; 08-13-2021 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Just edited for deleting the edit.

Tags
database-locked , index , search