Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 AM

Search stops working

hi,

Lately I've found from time to time that Search just stops working. No matter what I put into the search box, nothing comes up. I'm putting in search terms I know are present, I'm making sure I'm using Simple search, I press Reset - still nothing comes up when I press Search.

The only way to make it work is to close the database and re-open. Then the self-same search works.

Has anyone else encountered this?

smith-corona
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM

Yes, something similar. The permanent fix was to repair the database with reset all system information to default values checked. You may have to re-adjust any changes you made to your templates, but no information will be lost.

Jon
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 AM

damn... I was hoping to avoid that. I'll probably put up with this behaviour as long it's just occasional, rather than lose all my customisations.

To be honest I would prefer Kinook put its energies into stamping out basic, long-standing annoyances like this, than develop Python scripting or whatever else is on the road map.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator

We've never seen or heard of that before, so any more details you can provide on reproducing it would be helpful. And repairing a database does not reset all customizations (toolbars, menus, panes, etc.) -- it only resets the text and attributes of predefined items (My Data, Templates, etc.) and restores any optional items (Notes, Tasks, etc.), which can be deleted again.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 AM

thanks Kinook, my mistake, should have done some checking. Problem is it is (fortunately) pretty occasional, so there's not much useful to say except "it sometimes happens". My impression is it's been since the latest upgrade, but I wouldn't swear to it, and in any event post hoc is not propter hoc. I'll keep an eye on it and if I have anything meaningful to report I'll post it here.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 AM

Hi John & Smith,
Definitely the search freeze occurs very often, more often than I expect. It can be cured by Option | Compact & Repair... It often, though not always, occurs after the computer has been in hibernation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: