Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-02-2005, 04:12 PM

Svg

Is there a way to view SVG files in Ultras Recall's Item Details? If I select Open Document, the SVG file appears in Internet Explorer. I added the extension to the options, "Open in Browser", but I only see the raw text of the SVG file, not the image.

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 04-05-2005, 09:52 AM

Svg files are actually XML files, and by default will be processed and displayed as XML files. The internal browser view of Ultra Recall uses Internet Explorer technology to display content, but Internet Explorer also treats .svg files as xml. You need to install a plug-in/viewer to properly interpret/display these graphical .svg files (either in your browser or a stand-alone application).

Do you have a viewer installed for svg files? One example is the Adobe viewer: http://www.adobe.com/svg/. Other viewers are available, but this one is free, and registers a plug-in to Internet Explorer which allows Ultra Recall to display .svg files internally.

My testing indicates that with this viewer installed, you don't even need to add .svg to the list in Ultra Recall, they properly display in the internal browser view (based on the underlying .xml filetype). One issue I did notice is an omission of scroll bars (in the Item Details Pane) which seems to be due to this particular viewer (I see the same behavior in Internet Explorer).
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 AM

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I already have the Adobe viewer installed, and Internet Explorer views SVG files fine. The only problem I have is viewing local SVG files in Ultra Recall.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 AM

I stand corrected, I imported the document using an internal build of Ultra Recall that handles this file type properly. You are correct, the currently released version doesn't display these files properly... The current workaround is to view svg files externally (using Open Document or Ctrl+J).

The next minor release of Ultra Recall will display these files properly in the internal browser view. Sorry for any confusion introduced with my earlier response.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:52 AM

Thanks

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:37 AM

Any change on handling svg files?

Hello,

I just wanted to check to see if the way UR handles svg files has improved. I am using the most recent update of UR, but I can still not view svg or svgz files internally. I have the extension placed in Options (File extensions to view in internal browser view, but I only see the raw xml or compressed code when trying to view internally.

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Without changing any options in UR (using UR 1.3.2.9 [the latest version on the web site]), after installing the Adobe SVG viewer from the URL above, I was able to view the SVG

http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/usair/index.html

both without importing (by navigating to that address in the UR address combo) and importing as an item (by copying and pasting that URL into the UR data explorer tree). In both cases the SVG is displayed and operates as it does in IE. This was with IE 6.0 SP2 on Windows XP SP2 and version 3.03 of the SVG viewer.

Does the above SVG display properly in stand-alone IE and/or the UR internal browser on your machine? What steps are you using to view the page in UR? What is the info from Help | About | Install Info? Which version/SP of IE are you running? Which version of the SVG viewer?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:47 PM

SVG viewing

Hello,

I am using UR 1.3.2.9 and I can see the svg file properly when I copy and paste the url (
http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/usair/index.html) into the UR address box.

Importing doesn't work however. When I import as an item (by copying and pasting that URL into the UR data explorer tree) or using the Import tool I only see the "Click here to open linked document" message in Item Details.

I am using IE 6.0 SP2 on Windows XP SP2 and version 3.03 of the SVG viewer.

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

If you show the DocType attribute (Tools | Options | Attributes), what DocType does it show for the imported item in the Item Attributes pane? What values do you have for

Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view

and

Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally

?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:21 PM

SVG Viewing

Hello,

The DocType attribute on the svg items imported into UR is 9.

For Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view: .html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.doc;.xls;.ppt;.pdf;.VSD;.VSS ;.VST;.VDX;.VSX;.VTX;.svg;.svgz

For Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally:
.wma;.mp3;.cnm

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 11-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

A DocType of 9 indicates that UR identified the file as an XML file (which SVG files are a dialect of). If you add .xml to 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view', it should display those items in the internal browser.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:39 PM

SVG Viewing

Hello,

That seems to have done it. I can now import and view svg files in UR.

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 02-10-2006, 02:49 PM

Controlling DocType attribute on import

Hello,

Is there a way to control the DocType attribute assigned when importing a file? Whenever I import an svg file it receives DocType 7, but in order to view the file I must manually change the DocType attribute to 9. It would be helpful if UR assigned the correct DocType attribute on import.

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 02-11-2006, 10:10 PM

There isn't a way to override which DocType value is assigned by Ultra Recall, but if the content is xml (which all valid .svg files should be) then Ultra Recall should (and does for me) assign a DocType value of 9.

Can you provide a public url to an example .svg file that imports with a DocType value of 7? What version of Ultra Recall are you using (Help | About | Install Info...)?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 AM

SVG Viewing

I am using UR 1.4c. A little more testing shows that online svg's are imported correctly (DocType 9), but importing local svg's results in DocType 7. This applies to all svg's I have tried to import.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: