Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Unhappy Please add copy, move, link from right click context menu

Hello.

This is to post a suggestion I consider to be very important for the versatilely of UR:

Please add the option to right click over an Info Item or over a selection of Info Items and that by options on the context menu the user could easily move, copy or link to any other Info Item on the same database. I recently discovered the lack of this feature and was amazed about UR not having this functionality. I use other PIMs (although UR prevailed over them as my PIM) and they have this feature and do pretty well. Currently when I have the need to move or link items (which I normally do very frequently), I find quite unconfortable as I have to first pick an item and then find the place all the way a cluttered tree where I finally will put or link the item. When I do this I normally *loose my place* or position on the tree or search result. I'd like to be able to move Info Items without the need to "search/hunt" for the place to drop the items. Do you have any comment? Thanks.

Leoram
Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 PM

This can be done now using copy or cut and paste. Simply select the Info Item(s) to copy/move (hold Ctrl to select discontiguous Info Items). Then, either copy or cut the selected Info Items to the clipboard, then navigate to the desired new location and paste. If you cut the selection to the clipboard, then they will be removed from the source location when pasted. If you then want to return to the original location, just use Go | Back on the menu, or Alt+Left Arrow (keyboard shortcut), or the Back button if you have that special key on your keyboard.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:59 AM

Kevina, your response above is a confirmation of the lack of functionality that deal with copy, move, link Info Items.

I want to draw your attention especially to the second part of my post.

If you read carefully, you'll probably find out that what I'm requesting/reporting is slightly far off from your response. For example: my main objection to the way UR does things now is that the user first has to pick or select Info Items, then "navigate" all the way a cluttered, heavy-weight tree in order to find the place to drop the copy or link. The problem gets worse when you have to link one Info Item to various Info Items in different locations on the tree. When this is done this way, the user normally *loses* his place (you don't get exactly where you were originally, same document, same place on the document, etc., no matter what you do). I have experienced this many times. I don't like to mention other softwares but some PIM developers have seen the need for this feature and have integrated it in their packages. This has not been in vain. I can sincerely say that the lack of this feature is one of the most ostensible drawbacks in UR.

As this is very important to me and probably to many users out there, I'll remain looking forward to your reconsideration and opinion about this issue and let us hear from you as your time permits.

Leoram

Last edited by Leoram; 01-27-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leoram
When this is done this way, the user normally *loses* his place (you don't get exactly where you were originally, same document, same place on the document, etc., no matter what you do).
Leoram
Two things I don't understand. 1) Why doesn't the go back command bring you back to the same place? And if it doesn't work right (which I can't confirm), why isn't the solution to fix it, instead of adding an additional feature; and 2) How would the right-click menu allow you to go anywhere? Wouldn't you have to duplicate the same troublesome tree in the right click menu, producing an awfully long one with the same problems?

Other programs that I've seen with this feature don't let the user go anywhere, but only to locations they have pre-selected for the right-click menu. This kind of functionality in UR is given by the Favorites menu.

Just trying to understand you suggestion...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 AM

Response to Stephen:

> Two things I don't understand. 1) Why doesn't the go back command bring you back to the same place? And if it doesn't work right (which I can't confirm), why isn't the solution to fix it, instead of adding an additional feature...

Go back doesn't work as expected in UR, especially when the user goes deep into the Data Explorer pane for some Info Items/Folders, and this is confirmed! Besides this, go back is not as confortable and technical a solution if compared to the right-click request above that allows you to copy, move, link without leaving your spot.

> 2) How would the right-click menu allow you to go anywhere? Wouldn't you have to duplicate the same troublesome tree in the right click menu, producing an awfully long one with the same problems?

For an explanation to this see the attached pictures showing ContentSaver (MyBase does something similar, but at the moment I don't have it installed.)

> Other programs that I've seen with this feature don't let the user go anywhere, but only to locations they have pre-selected for the right-click menu.

See the pictures attached, especially CS02.jpg.

> This kind of functionality in UR is given by the Favorites menu.

Favorites is a pre-selected, limited approach indeed that also brings about the same results as for the user to *lose* his/er "place" when going back various levels to his/er original place, as compared to the solution requested above, that allows you to copy, move, link without leaving the Info Item you are working with.

Leoram
Attached Files
File Type: zip cspics.zip (209.6 KB, 1869 views)

Last edited by Leoram; 02-03-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:38 AM

Good job with the picture. That is what I thought you meant. My take is that the any difference is illusory when it comes to comparing staying where you are in the Data Explorer and navigating through a vast folder system via the right click, versus navigating a vast Data Explorer with the capacity to go back. I might be missing something and all due caveats inserted.

I think people are grasping for solutions but what's missing in the end is pretty obvious. I'll put it in a different thread so as not to distract detract from your suggestion.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 PM

another thing that ContentSaver does well...

ContentSaver now provides a very convenient search box above the folder list (equiv UR Items), accessible using F8 key, that finds folders as you type. Provides enormous productivty for navigating even a densely populated, highly nested tree.

This might be faster than now having to change focus to even a pre-created Item Title search?

See screenshot
Attached Files
File Type: zip easily find folders or items.zip (12.6 KB, 1913 views)

Last edited by igoldsmid; 02-06-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:20 AM

UR has a quick search feature. If you start it, your typing narrows the target set. The difference is that UR searches keywords when it quick searches. You can search by many things in UR, but unless I missed an option, you can _quick_ search only by entire infoitem.

In principle, it seems to me the quick search should quick search by whatever criteria the user wants, including title only.

How useful would this be? Some utilities search actual folders as you type and launch applications tat way. 1st Turbo Run is probably the best of the breed, but I have licenses to several--well, three to be exact. If my purchasing behavior is any indication, this feature can be quite beguiling. But in fact I hardly ever use 1st turbo run--never the others any more. Only when I can't find an item some other way. But other users feel differently; it's on one of Fallows' favorable lists.

Last edited by srdiamond; 02-07-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:35 AM

Personal brain also has progressive thought (title) search feature. Without it PB usability would not be nearly as good.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:49 AM

Backing igoldsmid on CS:

> ContentSaver now provides a very convenient search box above the folder list...

Indeed, CS has announced this newly integrated feature of incredibly fast folder search as they have *sense* their customers' need and valued the usefulness of this functionality. This is how they introduce the new option:

"The dialog box now contains a folder search to quickly locate specific folders (for example, a deeply nested, collapsed folder in one of your archives)."

I have added another screenshot of this marvelous feature that is invoked with F8 key from the main window or inmediately accessible from any folder-related dialog box. Note the "Find folder" little box at the upper left where you can type part of a folder's name (InfoItem in UR). Would be extremely useful if something similar were included in UR to enhance move, copy, link infoitems using right click or a hotkey.

Leoram
Attached Images

Last edited by Leoram; 02-17-2006 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Example using MyBase.

Previously I was not able to include pics on MB doing moving items as I didn't have it at that moment but now I have re-installed it and here the pics go...

Leoram
Attached Files
File Type: zip mbpics.zip (223.6 KB, 1906 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: