Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.45 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 04:54 AM

Work Offline option?

Is there any way possible to get a work offline option like web browsers have so when a page is loaded within UR it doesn't load all the ads? I HATE ads in saved pages, I can tolerate them while surfing, and the only way to block them now is to block UR using the firewall...but the catch there is UR then takes forever, ages upon ages, to load the page in its internal browser. Unless maybe I'm missing a feature selection? I can run through a lot of saved pages sometimes looking for something in particular and it would be MUCH FAST to be able to truely work offline. This an improper import of certain saved HTML pages, and most all sites, are my two biggest griefs. The third would be the way UR handles temp Excel files (unless I close UR any edits made to the stored only pages do not take effect....would be nice if the "save" button, whether within Excel itself or when within UR, actually saved the updated version).

B.Roberts
Old 02-03-2006, 05:14 PM

One way to minimize retrieval of ads and other html annoyances is with a local proxy. I personally use the free Proxomitron (others are available as well), which I find is very stable and does a decent job with the default configuration (it is also very easy to reconfigure).

What web pages don't store properly?

Editing stored Excel documents works fine in our testing, both externally and internal to Ultra Recall. If editing them within Ultra Recall, the Save button on Excel Toolbar will save your changes to the temp file, navigating to a different Info Item or exiting Ultra Recall will cause Ultra Recall to update its stored copy.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm finding that if I had saved a selected section of a website with say a program such as WYSIGOT and then try to import it as a folder, so one could browse the pages linked offline, not only do I end up with pages that aren't linked but often times the photos aren't there either....it'll view fine offline in a normal browser. I can import them page by page but then I can't browse from one page to the next....like one would need to do for say multi page graphics tutorials. I have a folder which contains a livestock parasite website that is no longer available online, it contains loads of microscopic images, and I would just luv to be able to import that folder into UR and keep everything within it linked like it is when stored on my hard drive. Some of the pages and/or sites I'm finding don't import correctly yet view OK with a browser I have not a clue what they were saved with....I have 9 years of "stuff" floating around that someday I'd like to corral.

My problem with Excel is I was minimizing UR to the system tray after saving and often times forgetting to close it before shutting down the pc or rebooting. I did figure out if I closed UR or switched to a different item it would update.....I just solved it by not allowing it to minimize, that way I don't forget to close it and so I know it's updated. I just wish it would update when I hit save or minimize it to the system tray without having to switch items or close it.

Would Proxomitron work with a hub/router/direcway connection? Out of curiosity, has no one ever suggested a "work offline" option?

B.Roberts
Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 PM

If you forward an example of a webpage (zip it all up preserving relative folders) to support@kinook.com, we'll take a look and try to determine why it doesn't work as expected.

Proxomitron should work just fine with whatever connection you are using (including dialup).

Another "Off-line mode" request has been received, but for a slightly different purpose than you propose. See this forum post to view the prior request.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:27 PM

OK, I'll send a zipped example of what I'd like to be able to do.

The other offline mode post makes sense in a way I guess. When I save a page I save it to view in the future, as it looked when I saved it, not as it looks a year from now....if it's even there! I'd could care less if the ad server supporting the page is gone, if its ads are changed, or whether the page contents have changed, that is why I save the contents of the page to begin with.

Another thing on the same lines as offline work would be importing saved pages while in some offline mode. I've owned a newsgroup for many, many years and have many thousands of Yahoo posts archived in groups of 20 per page and I can't import them into UR or use them within UR because of the imbedded Yahoo garble which feels the need to connect itself to the internet and waste valuable time doing so. I had thought about giving them their own UR database to live in because there's about 1,000 HTML pages archived now....I still own the newsgroup so that number will continue to grow.

B.Roberts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: