Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 01-23-2005, 09:06 PM

Paste Text on context menu

Would it be possible to add a "Paste Text" option in the right-click context menu? This is a feature that I use a *lot* and it is a pain to have to access it from Edit-->Paste Special-->Paste Text.

Thanks for your consideration!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Administrator

So Alt+P, T isn't good enough, eh? Which pane(s) context menu would you use this from?
Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
So Alt+P, T isn't good enough, eh? Which pane(s) context menu would you use this from?
Well, actually, let me tell you what I'm trying to accomplish and what is being done. Perhaps this will lead to a better solution...

I like to use Courier New font, size 10. So I've set both font settings to this font/size on the Editor tab of the Options dialog. When I copy text from, say, Outlook Express and paste (normal paste, Ctrl+V) it always pastes as Times New Roman size 12. This is not even the font that I'm using in Outlook Express!

So how I want it to paste in is using the font I've set in the Options dialog, not the "default?" of Times New Roman 12. One "workaround" I've found that works is to Paste special as Text.

So, to answer your question, if UR cannot be modified to paste using the current document's font, then the context menu I'm referring to would be the right-click menu of the item details document iteself (the editor window). Alt-P just brings up the menu, I'd prefer a way to just paste it in as text without the additional step that Alt-P requires (Unless of course you can come up with a way for it to just work when I (normal) paste it in, that would be the best solution!)

Thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Apparently what OE puts on the clipboard for RTF isn't identical to what it's displaying in its browser. A couple possibilities:

1) Configure OE to only show messages as text (Tools | Options | Read | Read all messages in plain text). Then, it will only put text format on the clipboard when copying. Plus, it's a good way to avoid potential security holes [1].

2) Install PureText [2] to enable a system-wide shortcut (i.e., Win+P) for pasting as text no matter what format(s) are on the clipboard.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=outlo...+text+security

[2] http://stevemiller.net/puretext/
Old 01-25-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
1) Configure OE to only show messages as text (Tools | Options | Read | Read all messages in plain text). Then, it will only put text format on the clipboard when copying. Plus, it's a good way to avoid potential security holes [1].
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I tried configuring OE to show messages as text, but that doesn't seem to work as it sill pastes as Times New Roman. I even restarted OE and tried it again, with no luck. Is that supposed to work? Do you see that it works for you? This seems like the simplest solution, but also seems specific to OE, and I only used OE as an example actually. What about pasting blocks of text from Word? Perhaps it would still be nice to have a Paste as Text on the right click menu of the edit window

I'd love to find a solution to this without resorting to PureText or the like.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Administrator

UR currently supports Alt+P, then T to paste as text from UR. I mentioned PureText since that would reduce it from two to one keystroke (and also works in other applications). We'll also consider adding that item to the RTF context menu in the future.

Copying and pasting from OE configured to view messages as text should have the same effect as Paste as Text (since text is the only format it puts on the clipboard when configured that way), at least it does in my testing w/ OE 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158).

Note that the default font settings only apply to new items. Pasting as text will use the current font at the insertion point (the one displayed in the font combo on the toolbar), which is determined by the RTF contents/formatting if it has been edited.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: