Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Question from evaluating Newbie

Hello...
I've been using Keynote for a long time to store personal, technical and corporate snipets of information. Keynote is fantastic but its search function is uttely broken, ... hence, evaluation of UR.

I have absolutely no need for using UR for contact or appointments.. Neither do I want my document heirarchy (or, in UR terms, Data Explorer pane) polluted by Template, Imported Items or Recycle bin... Is it possible to get rid of these items in the tree?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Re: Question from evaluating Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by epaalx
Is it possible to get rid of these items in the tree?
Or at least provide for the option to hide them unless the user decides to do something with them. In that case, an option to easily unhide any of those default template folders would be worthy to have as a feature.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

The My Data, Imported Items, Templates, and Recycle Bin items cannot be deleted (or hidden); all other items can be deleted. Those items are needed for certain functions (for instance, items are deleted to the Recycle Bin by default, the Imported Items may be used when importing, etc.).

One way to remove them from the Data Explorer tree:

1) Insert an item in the Search tree (for instance, a folder named 'Hidden'; if you insert it, say, as a child of Quick Search, it will never be seen unless you expand the Quick Search node)

2) In the Data Explorer tree, select the Imported Items, Templates, and Recycle Bin items and choose Tree | Link/Move

3) Navigate to the My Searches -> Hidden folder, choose an Action of Move, and click OK
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Kinook, I think if you want any future with UR, it's time to move away from PIM paradigm to (what I call) Personal Information Repository (PIR).
That means, by all means, do provide building blocks for PIM functionality, but don't make it part of the core.
(Freeware) Keynote has been around for a while - it would do UR wonders if you could learn from it about PIR.
I'm freakin' out trying to find a parking spot for all my Keynote information on any commercial alternative but UR is not yet there.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 AM

Is there a way to hide selected templates?

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
The My Data, Imported Items, Templates, and Recycle Bin items cannot be deleted (or hidden);
One way to remove them from the Data Explorer tree:
2) In the Data Explorer tree, select the Imported Items, Templates, and Recycle Bin items and choose Tree | Link/Move

This works for some templates (not all, 'contacts' gives an error for example), but you will never be able to move the 'hidden' template back to the templates path, as it doesn't show up in the link/move window, or do I miss something?

Would be great though to be able to hide selected templates (I mean not showing up in the 'insert child' or 'insert sibling' menus)
Old 04-07-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
... UR is not yet there.
What do you mean by "UR is not there"? UR has tons of features you can only dream of in other softwares. On the other hand, you have to realize that you will NEVER find a software that will have just the right features for YOU, and not more ...

But it's a good thing that you brought this issue, cause as was somewhere else suggested, this would be another reason to create some kind of EASY/PRO user interface switch. In the EASY interface, no Imported Items/Recycle Bin/Templates, no forms or saved searches ... and if these interfaces could be customizable, even better ...

Last edited by quant; 04-07-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 AM

If it has has enough features for you, that's fine.

I didn't want features to be removed from program, but if "it possible to get rid of these items in the tree?" The tree, not not the program.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
If it has has enough features for you, that's fine.

I didn't want features to be removed from program, but if "it possible to get rid of these items in the tree?" The tree, not not the program.
it's quite polemical what is a feature and what is not ...
I just find a bit strong to write UR is not there because it shows some system items directly in the tree (which other software dont have cause they dont have these additional features like imported itmes, templates, ...) So it is an additional feature that UR shows this or is it a step back (by your arguments)?

It is always good if someone comes from another background and has different point of views and ideas, so please elaborate on why you think UR is not there?

Quote:
"Keynote has been around for a while - it would do UR wonders if you could learn from it about PIR."
Could you make some suggestions?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I have absolutely no need for using UR for contact or appointments.. Neither do I want my document heirarchy (or, in UR terms, Data Explorer pane) polluted by Template, Imported Items or Recycle bin...
Sounds like you need zoot, the best search engine & most straight forward for data entry. Not 'poluted'.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I have absolutely no need for using UR for contact or appointments.. Neither do I want my document heirarchy (or, in UR terms, Data Explorer pane) polluted by Template, Imported Items or Recycle bin... Is it possible to get rid of these items in the tree?
Btw, here's an idea, it'll show you how just versatile UR is
Create "My Home" (or whatever) directory as a child of the root directory and move all your "non system" directories inside. Then do just Hoist on "My Home" directory, and the system directories are gone

Kinook, what about this?
Add another system attribute "Hidden (Yes,No)" for all items apart from the root item, "no" by default. Root item would have another attribute: "Show hidden" with obvious meaning ...

While we're at it, I'd welcome another system attribute: "Read Only" (this I wanted to ask long time ago, items with Read Only attribute cannot be edited or deleted by moving to Recycle Bin)

Last edited by quant; 04-07-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Re: Re: Question from evaluating Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
Kinook, what about this?
Add another system attribute "Hidden (Yes,No)" for all items apart from the root item, "no" by default. Root item would have another attribute: "Show hidden" with obvious meaning ...
[/B]
Precisely!!
Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Sounds like you need zoot, the best search engine & most straight forward for data entry. Not 'poluted'.
Perhaps, as is MyBase.

Last edited by epaalx; 04-07-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Question from evaluating Newbie

Quote:
Perhaps, as is MyBase.
MyBase and UR were the last two when I was deciding for my "management/research" soft. However, "attributes" feature by itself brings UR to a completely another level ...

I found the following website helpful when evaluating various soft
http://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews...ers1/index.php

Last edited by quant; 04-07-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: