Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-21-2005, 03:06 AM

Slow to go to Favourites

I use the Favourites feature in UR a lot, but one of them takes about 2 minutes to open the required item. The structure is My Data > Imported Items > Documents at Home > email. I can get to the email folder (whick contains over 2000) items without any delays by clicking on each of the items in the Data Explorer tree; however, if I use the Favourite keyboard shortcut or choose the email item from the Favourites menu, as I said, it takes about 2 minutes to open the folder - which somewhat defeats the purpose of having a Favourite.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the operation of the Favourite selection?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Has the favorite item been moved in the tree since the favorite was created? Try deleting and re-adding the favorite. There is a bug where going to a favorite for an item which has been moved in the hierarchy always expands it (this has been fixed in our internal build).
Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks, that's made it much faster.

Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 PM

Oops! Unfortunately, re-doing the favourite only made it faster for a while. After UR has been unused for a while, it's very slow to go to the Favourite the first time it's used.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Can you copy the problem item to a new database, add a favorite there, and ZIP and send it to support@kinook.com with exact steps to reproduce the problem (also include the info from Help | About | Install Info)? Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:55 AM

This is still happening in 1.4 beta. To recap, the structure is:

My Data > Imported Items > Documents at Home > email

The favourite is email. When I choose it from the favourites menu for the first time it takes about 2 minutes to find it, during which time I can't use UR: the data explorer pane slider gradually shrinks to the top of the scroll pane and eventually the email info item expands and I can then use UR again. The email item contains over 2000 imported and linked email message files in .eml format.

If I go back to the favourite shortly after when I've not being doing very much in UR, it finds it instantly. But if I close UR and then open it again, it takes a long time again to open the favourite.

If I click on Imported Items in the data explorer pane after opening UR for the first time, either the Documents at Home item is expanded showing the email item, or I can click on Documents at Home and then email; either way this is much quicker than using the favourite.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Administrator

It sounds like the item is getting expanded in the tree when you go to the favorite. Do you have 'Tools | Options | Trees | Expand children when going to an item' checked? That shouldn't take two minutes, but you'll probably want to uncheck that option anyway, since that many items expanded in the tree are not very useful.

Another option would be to create a sibling item to 'email' and create it as the favorite instead. Since there are so many children under that node, probably even more useful would be to make that new sibling a Search item configured to 'Limit search to siblings of current search item', which would make it much easier to access the information under the email node.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
It sounds like the item is getting expanded in the tree when you go to the favorite. Do you have 'Tools | Options | Trees | Expand children when going to an item' checked?
Unticking that has speeded it up. Thanks for your help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: