Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-15-2007, 08:16 AM

The data area passed to a sytsem call is too small

I've been trying to copy over information from PersonalBrain 4 to UR. If I have both applications open and I copy a chunk of formatted text from PB4's notes editor, I get the following modal dialog in UR:

"The data area passed to a sytsem call is too small"

I get the dialog immediately upon copying the data from PB4 onto the clipboard. In other words, the dialog appears before I even try to paste the data into UR!

Clicking on OK to dismiss the dialog doesn't work. It comes back immediately. However, if I clear the clipboard or copy some plain text (from Notepad for example), then the problem goes away.

Therefore, it seems that PB4's clipboard format is somehow messing up UR. This seems to happen specifically when I am copying text from PB4 that uses advanced formatting functions, such as multi-level bulleted lists. I can copy plain unformattted text from PB4's editor without any problem.

I'm using UR version 3.2.1 and PB4 version 4.1.0.7. Also note that this problem has nothing to do with the UR database itself. If I create a brand new empty database in UR and copy from PB4 onto the clipboard, the error message appears.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:50 AM

are you getting rid of PB?

sigh, I wish Kinook would implement at least a little bit of the visualization features into UR, that would draw some users that look for mind mappers + powerful PIM (well, strictly speaking, UR still cannot be considered powerful PIM until full featured calendar pane is built) ...

Last edited by quant; 09-15-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
are you getting rid of PB?
I really like PB4 a lot. The visual metaphor is very nice and I think it's highly unlikely that UR will ever offer anything like that. I tried using PB for a while, but in the end, I decided to come back to UR. The two main reasons I chose to stay with UR over PB are:

1. I like the idea of being able to store all information and all files within a single encrypted database. PB does offer the option to "Move files into the brain", but it's really not the same thing, as it still relies on the Windows file system to store the files.

2. I love the fact that UR allows for user-definable attributes and custom forms. The custom forms are a feature I requested years ago and I'm glad Kinook finally got around to implementing it.

I also like the fact that UR has a built-in browser. I only wish the browser was a more complete implementation of IE. The constant Javascript errors are annoying, not to mention all the limitations and quirks of the tabbed browsing interface. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, there are numerous third party IE-based browsers that do not suffer from these problems. The browser is such a key component to UR that I'm surprised they haven't put more effort into making it more robust.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks -- we were able to reproduce this problem. PersonalBrain provides the copied text on the clipboard for the UniformResourceLocator format (it should put a URL in that data format), and UR wasn't properly handling really long text there. This is fixed in v3.2.2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: