Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Importing from Evernote

Is there any simple way to import data from Evernote. I use both Macs and Windows computers and can clip any webpage to Evernote in either OS, but I use UR as my main 'database'. Is it possible to easily copy relevant material from Evernote to UR, especially including the url etc. and not just the basic content.

I know this was asked about 3 or 4 years ago, but both evernote and UR have matured, so maybe links are possible now.

Don
Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi Don.

While I don’t know with any certainty I would think that it would require some program changes in order to do this. Well, then again I should ask first: Are you talking about importing the entire Evernote database? Or whole notebooks at a time?

Of course individual notes could be copied and pasted into a new child using the "Text" template. But since Evernote doesn’t store notes individually, but in a database I would guess that some coding would be required to split the imported database into its individual notes and then create children text templates for each separate note in UR.

Some less robust note-taking programs store each note as a separate file, and that would be a lot easier. E.g., Aignes Software's AM-Notes and ZuluPad, among others. But I don’t think that an Evernote database or notebook could be imported unless some sort of conversion coding was added to UR. Which would be nice but I haven't seen any requests for it so I doubt it is on the roadmap.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Basically, I want to import individual notes, note whole databases. I can import *.MHT and *.html files from Evernote quite easily, but cannot import the url from which the note derived. I suppose that the trick might be a two step process where I imported the MHT file and then went back to the Evernote database and copied the url and pasted it into UR.
Bit of a pain, but maybe the best option.

It is interesting that Surfulator also stores (or exports) documents as MHT, but it INCLUDES the url, so there is not a problem.

Maybe the trick is to find a MAC program that clips from the web and exports contents that include the url into something that UR can read. I could live with that.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vogelap
Holy smoke, would the ability to import from EverNote (2.2.1) or Evernote (3.x) be useful!

The developer of InfoQube was able to make an importer for EverNote, so hopefully Kinook can too!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vogelap
Holy smoke, would the ability to import from EverNote (2.2.1) or Evernote (3.x) be useful!

The developer of InfoQube was able to make an importer for EverNote, so hopefully Kinook can too!
+1!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM

Is there any information (EverNote exports, etc) that I could provide to help with consideration of this feature request?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator

A few sample EverNote databases for testing would be great (please send to support@kinook.com). Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM

Will get something together for you tonight. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM

yes!

Thanks for stepping up, Drew! I assume Drew's sample will suffice, but if you need anything more, I'm happy to contribute whatever I can to this effort, would address one of the biggest missing links in my ideal workflow!

It's been a while since I frequented the UR forums, but I am reminded again of how great the support and development teams are!

Cheers,
David
Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM

I am working on the databases/exports/etc this evening.

Here's an article I wrote about my usage of EverNote 2.2.x:

http://www.drewvogel.com/2008/08/26/...s-for-my-life/
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM

Evernote 2.2 vs. 3

Drew, that's a really helpful post on how you use Evernote. I picked up some idea that will really be helpful for my own War Against Chaos (WAC).

It also reminded me (especially the comments) that Evernote versions 2.2 and 3 (the infamous Evernote Downgrade) use different database formats. Sounds like you're using 2.2 and I'm using 3, sooo...

... perhaps I should send a version 3 db after all? Or were you already planning to do that?

Cheers,
David
Old 03-31-2010, 07:12 PM

I was hoping to focus on EverNote 2.2.x first, then look at 3.0 if/when Kinook implements importing from 2.x. Frankly, Evernote 3.x is SUCH a downgrade from 2.2.x as to be completely useless.

Still, David, if you want to send them a 3.0 database, I'm sure the Kinook guys would be able to use it. I really think that the power of EverNote 2.2.x is more in line with the power of URp. Much more in line than Evernote 3.x, in my opinion.

I've emailed the EverNote 2.x stuff to Kinook. Please let me know of any questions!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 PM

Unfortunately Evernote 2.2 import won't benefit many users here; there are few still using 2.2 compared to the newer versions.

Jim
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 AM

sample db file for Evernote 3.5 sent

Okay, I just sent a sample db file from evernote 3.5 (.exb) by email in a zipped attachment.

Thanks for looking into this!

Evernote 2.2 seems eons ago. I use version 3 for two functions: clipping easily (it's clipper is about the smoothest) and for keeping these clipping synchronized across machines. Evernote 3 is useful for organizing the clipped info, so I've all but ceased using it for serious professional research. At this point, I'm worried about data lock, as it does not appear that Evernote is serious about restoring any of the functionality they jettisoned between 2.2 and 3.0. I've used UR for quite a while and am impressed with its power, versatility, stability--and the options for getting data OUT!

I would probably use UR for just about everything, if it could sync over the internet. I need to be able to work on my knowledgebase in many locations. Lately I've been trying Surfulater--which clips pretty well (integration not perfect), but has very satisfying organizational tools. It's version of a tag tree appeals to me more than any other I've seen.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 AM

I also have Surfulater - it's OK but drives me crazy sometimes.

I am using Evernote 3.5 but not that much lately. Their new interface is a mess. Extremely slow, a rotten rich text editor - basically they insist on using Microsoft's WPF which everyone else has pretty much sworn off due to problems. I use Evernote only for quick clips off the web. I can't use it anymore to jot down a quick note - they have made it too difficult with their latest builds.

I loved Evernote 2.2 but it is no longer supported, can't sync to the web, and unfortunately is used by so few anymore that it has become "abandonware" in just about every sense.

I use Ultra Recall now for as much as possible. I just wish its web clipping was a little quicker; some web pages take about a full minute to show up in URp and URp is not usable until the capture is complete. I also don’t use URp for writing quick notes. I haven't found a way to do that efficiently, though if someone posts any way to do so I would use it.

Thank you.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: