Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

FTP and rcmd

Is there a way to use the ftp action to run remote commands on another system? The only actions that I see as available within the ftp action are get, put and list. I have gotten around this by using vbscript in VBP to run rcmd commands on the remote system but can't seem to find a good way to error trap. Just trying to find a better way to catch errors when using ftp rcmd.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

No (I'm not familiar with "ftp rcmd" and it doesn't appear to be part of the FTP RFC -- is it specific to some FTP server?). Typically the Telnet action is used to execute commands on remote non-Windows (and non-LAN-accessible Windows) machines, and the Run Program action's Remote tab (PsExec) is used to execute commands on remote LAN-accessible Windows machines.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Ah, yes. Sorry but the rcmd is specific to the IBM iSeries systems. Have any familiarity with iSeries? I tried the tenet action but am unable to get passed the login to the system. The Username and Password field do not successfully log into a user profile so I tried to script it but I cannot seem to find the synatx for it. I get the user name in but I can't seem to get a password accepted. Looks as though the iSeries wants the user and password on the same line.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I had never heard of IBM iSeries before now. I take it that it does have a Telnet server? Please ZIP and send support@kinook.com:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) The .bld file
3) A build log file, with the Telnet action Logging field set to All + hex dump

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: