Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 PM

Features I'd like to see

Hi Armstrong,

The features I'd like to see - with the most important-to-me items first:

- a calendar that when a date is selected shows, at my choice, items created on that date, those modified on that date, or those due on that date. For those due on that date, I'd like to be able to be able to hide those already completed.

- custom flags - letting me pick the colors and their meanings.

- lower case path and file names during export so that I don't have to sweat the letter casing during ftp operations.

- the ability to move tabs around.

- synchronization with MS Word and/or OpenOffice Text styles so that a style created in URP would be recognized by either of those programs and vice versa.

- more robust numbering such that if I have a numbered list and separate two items with text that elaborates on the first number, the latter number doesn't go back to 1.

- along this line, the ability to set the numbered list to have any start number I desire.

- the ability to index web documents. And if access to such documents required login, requiring me to log in for the index for the document to work.

- an online version of URP that works from my browser, similar to Evernote.

- lower case html throughout the exports, without touching the content of the text itself. So <b> and not <B>.

- the full set of windows colors for text and text backgrounds.

- having the text-background be recognized as a background by Word as distinct from a highlighting. They are very different, and I'd like URP to harness this difference.

- the ability to specify as an item attribute that any links to URLs (as distinct from internal linking) goes to either a new tab or an external browser.

Guess that's a good ambitious start.

Regards,
Bal
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 PM

By the way - I love URP4beta.

I don't know if I was the only one with this difficulty, but in all versions of URP3, anytime pressing Ctrl+Home in the explorer pane required a screen change, URP3 froze on me. That doesn't happen at all in version 4! Wonderful.

Great job, Kinook.

Regards,
Bal
Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Maybe it's a stupid question, but where can I find the Beta version?
Thanks
Hans
Old 07-05-2009, 12:33 PM

The answer to a similar question was posted in this thread...

You send a request to support@kinook.com...you will get a download link and a temporary registration code.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks $bill
sorry I didn't see that.
Hans
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 AM

What I would really like to see is the ability to insert rows and/or columns into tables. Right now, AFAIK, the only way to add a row is by tabbing from the last cell, which adds a row at the bottom. I have not found a way to insert rows or columns into a table -- other than by copying the table into, say, Word, making my changes, and then copying it back into UR.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wocius
What I would really like to see is the ability to insert rows and/or columns into tables. Right now, AFAIK, the only way to add a row is by tabbing from the last cell, which adds a row at the bottom. I have not found a way to insert rows or columns into a table -- other than by copying the table into, say, Word, making my changes, and then copying it back into UR.
hit CTRL+J to edit directly in word when you need some advanced editing features ...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM

True, but pretty kludgy, and nowhere near as good as being able to edit tables in a useful way in UR itself.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 AM

features I'd like to see

More on the features I'd like to see.

- Better calendar - click a date and see everything associated with that date - created on, accessed on, modified on. Swipe a range of dates and see the same thing for the range. Make it possible for me to have saved calendars.

- Styles that are either HTML/CSS and usable with a text editor or something like dreamweaver, or styles that are understood by MS Office and Open Office.

- Hyperlinks to bookmarks *within* an item. Especially useful for long items.

- Tag cloud to see at a glance the subjects I've got on hand.

- More robust tagging function - ability to see tags as a hover and to click the hover to add, edit or delete tags.

- Searches that understand punctuation marks, thus making #tag different from %tag which is also different from tag. As it is, I'm using numbers, like 3tag, 4tag, tag5, etc. It works, but I'd prefer being able to work with punctuation marks.

- multiple windows as well as multiple tabs.

- an option to create, hoist and lock a new tab in a single action.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 PM

I really should ask this before requesting the beta version:

Is the URp 4 beta in reasonable shape for every day use?

I ask because I've read here where Kinook advised against having both URp 3 and 4 installed at the same time. Also, since I have a lot of live data in URp (like most here ) and can't much afford to lose it, I want to find out if it is somewhat safe at this point.

All that notwithstanding, I do understand that a beta is a beta is a beta, and that I would need to be sure to backup often.

Thank you,

Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 AM

Hi Jim,
So far UR4 beta causes neither glitch nor surprise here. You won't notice the difference between UR 3 and UR4 beta.
Armstrong
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 AM

Thank you Armstrong. Much appreciated!

Jim
Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 AM

Jim,
You're welcome. If you meant for crash, no, it didn't occur even once. This is one very rare beta I've ever tested before. It's solid and robust. Most other betas such as MindManager crashed constantly. I suspect UR4 beta is a final product. Anyway my UR4 beta will expire in 15 days.
Armstrong
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 AM

HTML export : items notes left out completely

could I suggest splitting the right pane horizontally and add item notes to the bottom? Thanks

Last edited by quant; 08-08-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
is it going to be a paid update?
Since UR version suddenly jumped from 3.5 up to 4.0, I'm guessing this is a way to fund additional development. Although $50 is a lot of money, I don't mind so much because UR has become essential to my computing life.

If you look at other software vendors moving to annual subscription fees--THAT would be worse than major version upgrade fee every few years. Kinook indicated some time ago there were not enough new UR customers to keep development going. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Meanwhile, I'll give up a couple "steak dinners" to upgrade a product this good and hope the door is open again for a few more items on the roadmap/request list (as others are excitedly dusting off and asking about here).

P.S. I think any ease-of-use or improved help enhancements have a double benefit of possibly bringing in more new customers who might otherwise be overwhelmed or simply ignorant of the power and flexibility of UR (I'm still learning what is possible after a few years).

Last edited by mikeg; 08-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: