Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Unhappy Me again - this time I'm trying to import PDFs

Seems simple enough. Use the import function and expect a PDF to be stored in UR and displayed like the original file when you click on the item in the explorer tree.

Well, when I do the import, the item is not stored as a binary copy of the original pdf but the text is taken from the pdf and put into the internal document. The result is that all the formatting is gone when you view the document by clicking on the corresponding explorer tree node. No matter how I do, as individual files or as a folder full, PDFs are mangled into raw text.

However, when I just drag-and-drop a pdf into a text item, thus creating a link to the external pdf, clicking on the resultant link causes display of a beautifully formatted pdf inside the UR detail panel.

I figure I have to be doing something wrong here. Web pages work like a charm, storing internally and rendering beautifully. I even tried viewing the PDF in Firefox and clicking the import button the UR created. Same results - formatting gone. I'd like to have my numerous PDFs showing as explorer tree items instead of having to open a text-type item and clicking on the contained links to get a pretty PDF displayed. And it would be awesome to have them stored in UR instead of hanging around in nearby folders.

Tim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: