Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 12-16-2003, 07:39 AM

Exclamation HELP w/InstallShield

I need help.

Our installs use InstallShield 6.3. Before this week we were running VBP 4.6b with no problems. I just upgraded VBP to 5.1 and now I cannot get the InstallShield step to work at all. I keep getting:

Failed to create process: The system cannot find the file specified.

Even though nothing has changed in the script. I have verified the paths and everything seems to be fine. I already have a batch file that compile the app, and the InstallShield step was just building the media.

Why does this not work anymore???

Thanks to anyone with ideas!!

Tom
Old 12-16-2003, 08:59 AM

Reason for error (and workaround)

The InstallShield action in Visual Build Pro v5.1 was updated to execute both phases of the InstallShield command-line call. This is an additional feature, which enhances the integration between Visual Build Pro and InstallShield. Unfortunately, there are inconsistencies in the installation paths of older versions of InstallShield Pro (pre v7.0) that cause this type of error to occur that you are experiencing...

<snip: from the v5.1 Visual Build Pro help file, under 'InstallShield Action'>

Note: InstallShield Professional versions prior to 7.0 are not supported by this action (InstallShield Pro uses a two-step build process [Compile.exe, then IsBuild.exe] but the executables are stored in different locations in version 6.x). For earlier versions, generate the batch file within InstallShield (from the Build menu) and run it from a Run Program action with a command of %DOSCMD% "<path>\Build.bat".

</snip>

Fortunately, as described in this help file note, there is an easy workaround for your scenario...

Previously, only the second phase of the InstallShield step was being executed by Visual Build Pro, so either you were doing some else to accomplish that prerequisite step, or it wasn't being executed (which could have impacted your build process).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: