Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Question Quickly open a database from within UR

Hi,
I have a small number of important databases all located in different places on my PC. I would like to be able to open any one of them quickly not using the Recent Files list (because that gets filled with less important databases). Is there a way, pls?

I was hoping to add these selected databases to Favorites, but that doesn't seem possible. I am looking for any kind of quick access within UR GUI.

Many thanks in advance!

k

P.S. 15 more consecutive posts and the first page of this forum is mine! (evil laugh)
Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Administrator

You could link them into UR and then create favorites, and open from there via Ctrl+J (Item | Open Document).
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Interesting idea.
Thank you!

k
Old 03-12-2021, 10:55 AM

I support karelt's request. And I tried the method described by kinook but it is quite complicated and to my mind cannot be more than a cumbersome workaround.

I think it would be good if Ultra Recall could have one of two (or in the best case even both ) additional features:

A) A method to add a database to the favorites in a straightforward, simple procedure. Or any other way to give a quick access to a certain database - just like mentioned already by karelt in his first post. (The Recent Files list can help but it has its shortcomings, as also pointed out by karelt.)

B) As far as I see, Ultra Recall offers the possibility to create a database and to fill it with items. It seems there is no intermediate level as it is standard in many similar programs.

E.g. in "RightNote" you have the levels:

"Notebook" (or "File") --> "Pages" --> "Notes"

"Notebook" corresponds with UR's "Database" and "Notes" correspond with UR's "Items". But if I did not miss something, in UR there is no equivalent for the "Page".

In essence the "Pages" (perhaps it is a misleading expression) are databases which you can concentrate in a bigger database because you regard them as an entity (or as something having a strong connection). For every "page" exists a tab; by clicking on it you have immediate access to the page.

You can see it in the attached image:

I have a notebook/file (= database) with 5 different pages ("sub-databases") - every page is represented by one of the five blue tabs:

Blog - Diverses (Various) - Grammatik (Grammar) - Links - Wörterbuch (Dictionary)

Every page has its own tree with the various notes/items.

Of course it is easily possible to add aditional pages and even to transfer (either moving or copying) a page to another notebook/database.

As far as I know e.g. MyInfo offers also a quite similar system in its new version 7 (with different terms which I do not remember at the moment).

Such a system does not pursue exactly the same purpose as e.g. Favorites but there is a certain similarity:

For example when using the dictionary you will have often to look up something in the grammar. So it is fine you can "jump" to the grammar immediately by clicking on the corresponding tab.

On the other hand you may have a collection of data with completely different contents (e.g. a list of recipes or of your favorite movies) for which you could create a completely different notebook/database outside of the "entity" Grammar-Dictionary-etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter-123; 03-12-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:52 PM
Administrator

UR supports multiple tabs, and you can hoist and lock each tab to a particular location in the tree. So you can use a single .urd file (database) and tabs to achieve the page level views. This also allows for focused searches (narrowed to the hoisted tree) as well as global search across the entire database.

https://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual/hoisting.htm

https://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manua...viordialog.htm

https://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual/tabmenu.htm
Old 03-12-2021, 07:46 PM

O.k. Thanks for this info. I will have to study this in detail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: