Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 AM

Question Insert specific item type shortcut?

Hi,

is there a way to assign a shortcut key to inserting a specific child/sibling type, pls?

e.g.
press F9 to insert a Text item type child
press F10 to insert a Folder item type sibling

Many thanks in advance!

K
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Not with one keystroke, but 2:

Alt+Insert, T
Alt+Insert, F
Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Many thanks for your kind reply.

I am used to having two keys at my disposal to insert either a child or a sibling and UR's solution is, sadly, far from my liking though. I understand that by offering more item types than common tree node application, UR cannot choose a simple two key combination (one key=child, another key=sibling), yet considering the purpose of UR, with all due respect for your hard work, I believe this should have been addressed differently allowing user to setup keyboard or toolbar shortcuts for any item type to be inserted with either one key press or one mouse click. The logic behind my opinion is that IMO the action that you do most often should be as fast as possible.

It is interesting that the T and F letters work the way you described. Usually such letters are underscored in Windows menus just like the "k" letter in Task item type. It is also interesting to note that only one letter is underscored and only when the menu is called with Alt+Ins or Sh+Alt+Ins. When I think of it, it actually shows that a lot of thinking went into making UR's GUI. Somebody thought "when the user invokes this menu with a mouse, he/she will not need to know about the keyboard shortcuts". Although I disagree with your conclusion, I like and respect your obviously devoted time and consideration for the user.

(For any users reading this and interested: it is always the first letter of the item type to work like this, e.g. Alt+Insert, A inserts an Appointment. The only exception is Task for which you can use the underscored "k" key.)

Thanks to your kind reply I will be able to work around this by writing an AH script that calls out this key combination (e.g. Alt+Ins, T) after pressing, say, F9, but the Alt+Ins menu will still appear which just seems like something we could really do without.

Best regards,
k
Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Administrator

One thing that may or may not help is that you can set the Default Child Template attribute of an item to specify which type of item to insert when pressing Insert (for child) or Shift+Insert (for sibling).

Otherwise, using an automation tool such AHK is the next best option.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
One thing that may or may not help is that you can set the Default Child Template attribute of an item to specify which type of item to insert when pressing Insert (for child) or Shift+Insert (for sibling).
This will actually help a lot!!!
I wasn't aware of this option.
Since I am going to be using (probably) only Folder and (mainly) Text, all I have to do is change the Default Child template of Folder from Folder to Text.

Many thanks!!!!

k

P.S. just noticed the Default Child Template is actually also a default sibling template which will not work that nicely for me, but it's still an improvement for me :-)

Last edited by karelt; 02-12-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: