Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
For example, if I paste a note into InfoSelect, the first line of the note automatically forms the default title in the left hand pane, whereas I have to type in a title in UR which is a considerable overhead when pasting large numbers of notes. But apart from that, there is no compelling reason to use InfoSelect, and by degrees I will move data out into UR.
The same in UR!!! Just paste directly to Data explorer tree

Quote:
ListPro for ToDo lists. I have titles of lists in the left pane, and the lists, one liners Excel style, with priority, dates, etc, on the right. ListPro does that job very well. But in fact, popping it up over UR is not much of an issue and perhaps ToDo lists are the one form of data I am happy to keep separate from UR.
The same can be done in UR!!!
Just for your TODO directory set child pane to have item title, item text, priority, everything a one liner just like you have in ListPro
Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Quant. Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you for the tips. As so often, UR has hidden depths and usually will do what you want if you look hard enough. If only it would provide native thumbnails. That is my one main prayer so that I can use it as a media libary too.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 AM

Quant, further to my email yesterday, I have been playing around with your ideas. The pasting into the explorer pane works extremely well and I kick myself for being unaware that I could do that.

I'm not doing so well setting up one liner "to do" items. What is the quickest way to do that? I am very grateful for your assistance, not just in this, but in so many other posts.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I'm not doing so well setting up one liner "to do" items. What is the quickest way to do that?
you need to "choose columns" that are displayed in the child item pane of the current item (note that this can be customized for any item, or globally for templates). This is done by right clicking on "attribute name line", see mouse on attached screenshot. Add any attribute you need, item text, priority ... for more info, see "Customization persistence" in the UR help.
Quote:
I am very grateful for your assistance, not just in this, but in so many other posts.
always happy to help (if I know how)
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Quant - many thanks. I love the title "customization persistence", but in fact it is quite a logical title, and I found the help screen topic with that title very useful. It takes me into some areas I am new to, so I will play with it this or next weekend.

Maybe one-line "to do" items would be a useful pre-supplied template. But that is just an aside for the benefit of Kinook. Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
you need to "choose columns" that are displayed in the child item pane of the current item (note that this can be customized for any item, or globally for templates). This is done by right clicking on "attribute name line", see mouse on attached screenshot. Add any attribute you need, item text, priority ... for more info, see "Customization persistence" in the UR help.

always happy to help (if I know how)
quant:

If possible, can you re-post the screenshot that you refer to in the above quoted post?

I would like to try doing this but it is difficult to determine exactly what and where you are talking about.

E.g., where do I right-click on "attribute name line" and add any attribute I need? Are you talking about something within the "Item Attributes Pane"? If so, I have right-clicked on everything within that pane and have not seen anything that would allow me to "Customize Columns".

Also, I have read the "Customization Persistence" section of the UR Help file a number of times and I truly feel as if that was written in some other language than English! (And I could also get by if it were in Spanish, French, Latin, or even Greek to a large extent! But alas, it is none of them). I cannot get anything at all from that Help section about customizing columns. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what there is to be learned from that Help section. Surely there is some important information there -- I just cannot figure out what on earth it is, nor how it relates to UR!

I'm certain that a screenshot showing the mouse location would make this quite a bit clearer, but the screenshot that you mention in your post is nowhere to be found.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
I would like to try doing this but it is difficult to determine exactly what and where you are talking about.
yeah, one small screenshot in the help file would certainly help. Please, see attached. Hopefully, the help file will make more sense now, you can customize each item, or globally on template level, you can sort by several columns (by holding CTRL when selecting additional column to be sorted by), ...
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM

J-Mac,

What's not shown in quant's screen shot is near the bottom of the pop-up menu (this pop-up is revealed by right-clicking on any of the column headings in the Child Pane grid), the More choice which reveals a check-list format of all available Attributes.

The currently selected Attributes are at the top of the check list, the unselected Attributes are grouped by Category. This check list also provides Up and Down buttons to help in establishing their left-to-right placement in the grid (this can also be accomplished at the grid level via drag-drop of a column heading, sorry if I state the obvious).

As quant mentioned the grid display can be set at the Template level, then you don't have to mess with it for Items created from that Template.

These same methods are availble in the Search Results Pane and can be useful with Saved Searches.

Customization and Persistence.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys! That sure does help. I guess that when you (quant) called this the "attribute name line" I got stuck looking in the Item Attributes Pane.

Very much appreciated!

Jim

BTW, regarding the Help file: I have been a little confused by it since I started using UR, but couldn't quite nail down exactly why. While I do find the Help file quite baffling most of the time, it is certainly not bereft of information. To the contrary, it has quite a lot of info in it. But I think I know now why it gives me so much difficulty:

The Help file was written by a person or persons who knows this program inside and out - especially from a coding standpoint. But it was written with knowledgeable users in mind, not novices. IOW, the way it is written is designed to be read by people who already know UR very well. This, however, makes it somewhat indecipherable to brand new users.

It really needs a rewrite to be made usable by new users without extensive DB experience. Currently the target audience for which it was written already know most of what is in there. It is merely a handy quick reference for them.

Thanks again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: