Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 AM

Toolbar Elements Saving Issue

I think there is an bug about customizing/saving toolbars in Ultrarecall Pro v. 2.0e:
In some circumstances UltraRecall seems not to remember toolbar visibility settings, toolbar positions, and/or changed toolbar elements.

I could reproduce this problem in the following setting:
0) Ultrarecall options set to load only in systray, close to systray. 2 databases are active
1) Start Ultrarecall: UR is loaded only in systray, 2 databases loaded.
2) Menu "customize...": changed/added/deleted some toolbar elements/toolbar positions, via drag/drop.
3) closed UR windows via the "x" close button: UR goes to systray.
4) closed UR in the systray via its menu point ("exit").
5) restarted UR: Changes made in toolbars were not saved or only partly saved.

I did NOT see this problem when closing each database before closing UR main window.

Oddly, when experimenting with different layouts, toolbar changes in each layout were saved, except in Layout1, which was opened when loading and also before closing Ultrarecall)

I did not test if it is related to some custom options (UR closing to systray,...?) or to the opening of multiple databases.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 AM

Additional observations/ workaround

I found similar behaviour for the rearrangement of the different child windows (Search, Data-Explorer, Item Attributes...): Their positions are not consistently stored when closing and restarting UR as described above.

A possible workaround for these toolbar and window-positioning problem for the moment seems to be:
1) before changing anything make sure the right layout to be changed is chosen and only one database is opened (necessarily? don't know - did it like that, to make sure I know what I do, and it worked)
2) switch layout after changes are done: this will save changes reliably to the layout chosen before
Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

There is no single "main" UR window per se (there is one main window for each open database). The saved pane/toolbar configurations for a given layout apply to all windows (databases) later opened within UR. UR saves the configuration for a layout when switching between layouts and when the last UR exists (using the window configuration of the last closed database [even if that window is minimized]).

If you have multiple databases open and use File | Exit to close UR, it's a bit ambiguous as to which will be closed last (and its configuration saved). To ensure your changes are saved, either make them with one database open, or close (not minimize) all other windows/databases (File | Close) before exiting UR. Also, there is no "close to tray" option in UR (perhaps you have 'Tools | Options | General | Close button minimizes application window' checked).
Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 AM

Cool

Thanks for the fast answers. Slowly but steadily getting familiar with UR...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM

With Vers 3, I am having the same problem of toolbars forgetting customizations. I've tried a number of times and can't get it to work.

I just tried the tip of ensuring that the last database I exit is the one where I made the customizations--that didn't work either.

Also, is there any way to make toolbar customizations global? They seem to be associated with each database.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Try closing all databases, making the customizations, then exiting UR (File | Exit). Otherwise, please ZIP and send or post:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) Run RegEdit and export the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\Options"
3) The files at %APPDATA%\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall (both a) before starting UR and b) after exitiing UR after changing customizations; literally type that into an Explorer address bar to navigate to the proper path)
4) Describe the customizations that were made between #3a and b.

The customizations are global, although if you open additional databases, they will use the last-saved customizations (from when UR was last exited).