Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 01:07 PM

best email client to use with UR?

I stumbled across Ultra Recall a couple nights ago as I was, once again, searching for a tool to help organize my life in a way that makes sense to me.

Nothing I've tried has ever come close, and I always reverted back to my mix of Franklin Planner, sticky notes, email folders & Word docs, plus a few specialty software apps like Roboform & PowerMarks.

But every now and then I would spend a few hours searching and trying out different tools, only to end up disappointed after trying something like InfoSelect or the like.

But Ultra Recall so far has been a breath of fresh air. After playing around with the sample DBs, I decided to take the plunge last night and start inputting some stuff.

So far so good...as a matter of fact, I'm starting to get excited in spite of myself. I've read some of the threads and see that UR can do a lot of cool things that I hadn't even thought of.

I think I'm going to take the plunge, register the software, and pour all of my projects into UR. Which leads to my first question: what is the best email client to use with UR?

I'm currently using Thunderbird, which has been nothing but trouble. It doesn't seem to work well with UR anyway, so I'm ready to move to something else.

I've used Outlook Express in the past, and only decided to try Thunderbird because my OE files became corrupted. I liked Firefox so I thought I'd give Thunderbird a try. Big mistake.

Does UR play best with OE, Outlook, or something else? I'm open to anything, whatever works best with UR. I want it to be "the one"!

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Sorry for the tardy reply, I was waiting to see if a user might post their opinion on the subject (in addition some development is nearing completion to overcome the current limitation where Outlook 2000 and earlier are not fully supported. I waited thinking this update would be released shortly, but it has been temporarily delayed for more testing).

Now, to answer your question:

While you can import messages in an indirect way (using the import wizard from Thunderbird and some other email applications), Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook currently have the best integration with Ultra Recall as they are the only mainstream email clients we are aware of that support copy/paste and drop & drop.
Note: as mentioned above there currently are some issues with Outlook 2000 and older that prevent it from consistently parsing an email. You can store them in Ultra Recall but they may not be parsed for keywords correctly or display in the Mime viewer - they can be viewed externally just fine, however).

At this point (version 1.3b), Ultra Recall supports drag & drop or copy & paste of messages (single messages only from Outlook Express) from these Microsoft email clients. The original message is "stored" as a document Info Item and the message is viewable in Ultra Recall with a special "Mime viewer" (stored messages can also be launched/viewed in the original application).

The next version of Ultra Recall (Sloan, version 1.4) will add additional support for Outlook 2000+, which may tip the scales toward Microsoft Outlook being the "best" email client for use with Ultra Recall. See this forum post for the details on version 1.4.

Note: Internally we have people using both clients with Ultra Recall and have had no complaints of corruption or data loss using Outlook Express (even with multiple, active accounts in use). Perhaps later versions of Outlook Express have addressed some prior issues that caused corruption... Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence, your mileage may vary!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 AM

The one remaining issue regarding inconsistencies importing Outlook 97/Outlook 2000 messages have been resolved and tested. The download has been updated with this fix, so all versions of Outlook (97 thru 2003) are now supported with Ultra Recall 1.3b (UltraRecall.exe version 1.3.2.3, you can see this value @ Help | About | Install Info...).

Note: additional Outlook integration is being worked on for the 1.4 release, the fix described here does not add this capability (it is slated for 2005Q4 release).
Old 08-10-2005, 12:36 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for replying. I decided to give Outlook Express a try with a fresh install and it's working fine.

I'm enjoying the process of putting everything into UR. Usually at this point I would have broken the PIM/Info manager or realized its shortcomings, but UR continues to impress and amaze me.

Thanks for a great product!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: