Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Reviewing and summarizing multiple pages using a single review pane

Kinook,
Sorry for the confusing title, but I could not come up with more descriptive one. Can you please guide me into a way I can use to achieve this process in UR please.

I do research for living. A common daily encounter I come across is when I collect my sources to summarize them. For example, today, I collected 30 web pages on subject I wanted to review. I put all these pages in one folder.

I then wanted to go through each page one a time and extract the summary information then move on to the next one and so forth. I extract the summary by reading the page and then typing in my summary in the item note pane. I have to have, minimally, the page and the summary edit item note pane visible simultaneously. The problem, is when I move to the next page, the item note pane refreshes with it and I get a new blank one.

Different application implemented a process to do this in different ways. The most elegant of all is that used by Surfulator. It allows you to simply use a hot key to append to an existing item. It works so good and has me drooling all over. MyBase, on the other hand, allows you to tile 2 windows or more (within the main app window) and pin a window so it never refreshes while the other one changes as you move across pages. This is beautiful too.

Natively, I do not think UR has this process considered in its design (unless I'm missing something). How can I accomplish this process in UR as it exists today? Is there a work-around?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 05:31 AM

What about using another info item to type your notes into? You could then use UR's open document feature to open that item in it's native application (e.g., Word, or Wordpad) keeping it in view while you go from item to item in UR. Save the open document from time to time. Then, when you're finished typing, close the external document, go back to that info item in UR and click the option to resume editing internally.

I use this method quite a lot and it works well.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Another option might be to cut/paste the summary notes to the parent item after entering (could open the parent item in a second tab and switch to it and back and doing this to maintain position in each tab).
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 AM

Thank you.
One I way I went around it is to combine all items under a single item then summarize the combination. The ability to combine multiple items is god-sent.

It would be really nice if UR adds a feature to allow us to pin an item note so that it does not refresh as you change items.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: