Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Office Integration - Do you want to save?

I've put in over a dozen excel sheets in UR with lists I want to keep track of. Works pretty nice, although a bit slow.

One thing I continually seem to be getting when internally editting the sheets in UltraRecall is a "Do you want to save your changes" dialog (after i.e. adding a single item to one of my lists).

When going through a list of things that have to be added to a lot of different Excel sheets in UR, this gets somewhat annoying.

--> I'd like an option to skip that dialog (and have it automatically save instead). Is there a way to do that?

I put this in General Discussion as it may be that I have to configure something in Excel.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Re: Office Integration - Do you want to save?

Quote:
Originally posted by Quantum7
I've put in over a dozen excel sheets in UR with lists I want to keep track of. Works pretty nice, although a bit slow.

One thing I continually seem to be getting when internally editting the sheets in UltraRecall is a "Do you want to save your changes" dialog (after i.e. adding a single item to one of my lists).
Yes, after editing you must use the host appilcation Save function before switching focus off the Detail Pane that contains the document you are editing.

This is a bit of pain, and I've tried to train myself to Save within the host app but still I forget and end up having to answer the resulting dialog.

Since UR is working with a temporary copy of the document you are editing, when you move focus off this document I guess UR has to do something with the temporary copy - prompting for a Save before closing seems prudent.

But at the same time - from a user perspective - just because you move focus off the Detail Pane doesn't necessarily mean that you are finished editing a particular document - but moving focus is forcing UR to close the temporary copy.

I don't know what can be done to change this.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Exactly. I know it's possible to suppress this dialog in Excel (and other Office documents) when calling Word or Excel using VBA.

I'm not sure if that's possible the way UR calls it though (or if it is, whether or not that would negatively impact other, necessary dialogs).

Thanks for the CTRL+S tip; hadn't thought of that yet.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Uhmmm, I wonder if Ctrl-J is an answer.

This would force the document to be opened externally (outside UR) within the host appilcation, then if you need to move focus within UR you can do so (without triggering the dialog), then return to editing the externally hosted document.

When editing is complete, Save the file, close the host app, you are returned to UR, and the edited document follows right along.

Just following a train of thought.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 PM

I don't think so:
- It only eliminates the dialog's you get when you want to temporarily edit something differently in UR. It doesn't help for eliminating any dialogs you get when editing / adding i.e. 1 row in 5 different Excel documents subsequently.
- In my opinion alt-tabbing between the applications isn't much better than getting a few extra dialog's on focus loss. I've already managed to accidentally open multiple documents externally at the same time. UR doesn't seem to handle that very well .
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Quantum7
... I've already managed to accidentally open multiple documents externally at the same time. UR doesn't seem to handle that very well .
"Applications programming is a race between software engineers, who strive to produce idiot-proof programs, and the Universe which strives to produce bigger idiots."
- software engineers' saying

;-)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 AM

[quote] I've already managed to accidentally open multiple documents externally at the same time. UR doesn't seem to handle that very well .[quote]

i know the idiots saying was made in jest but it'd like to chip in saying that I do the above and not accidently. Sometimes I want to be able to edit multiple documents simultaneously.

The problem is when I edit the SAME info item multiple times (ie open item, clone item in UR, open item). Sometimes saving one and then the other causes one to overwrite the other. i've not pinned down the exact sequence of events but I've definitely lost data as a result of UR's external data syncback process.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: