Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 04:52 PM

No synchronization with outlook after upgrade to outlook 2007

Before upgrading outlook from 2003 to 2007, the synchronization worked fine. After upgrading to 2007 the synchronization is not working anymore.
when i click in ultra recall to open an outlook object, created while the synchronization with 2003 still worked, i get the following message from ultra recall: 'acces denied'.
On the other hand, importing from 2007 is still working.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas what the problem might be?

Thank you.

Last edited by roypierce; 10-09-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

What exactly isn't working about synchronization (what error message is displayed, etc.)? Please send the info requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038.

For the 'access denied' problem, what happens if you launch the item's Outlook URL externally (for instance copy it to the Run dialog and run there)?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Re: No synchronization with outlook after upgrade to outlook 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by roypierce
Before upgrading outlook from 2003 to 2007, the synchronization worked fine. After upgrading to 2007 the synchronization is not working anymore.
when i click in ultra recall to open an outlook object, created while the synchronization with 2003 still worked, i get the following message from ultra recall: 'acces denied'.
On the other hand, importing from 2007 is still working.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas what the problem might be?

Thank you.
Hi Roy

I ran into this problem a while back - and luckily, the founder of another company whose software I use - Topicscape - discovered that when you install Outlook 2007, after 2003, or even sometimes when you just reinstall Office 2007, then the URI mechanism breaks - you can no longer use the types of Outlook URI's that UltraRecall relies on - they look like this:
outlook:000000004E3A410C593E1149B6213AD50BC7EB3144 C7C800

You can do one of two things...

1. Download Topicscape Pro Trial - which automatically fixes the problem for you when it installs: http://www.topicscape.com/download5.php (make sure you choose the Pro Version) - alternatively, once Topicscape is installed you can go to Tools/Enable Outlook 2007 Drag and Drop.

2. I have attached a zip file with registry files that correct the problem, and a couple of explanatory images... These are courtesy of Roy Grubb, the CEO of Topicscape, who got his tech team to investigate the problem and come up with a solution.

Good luck,

Ian Goldsmid

P.S. Maybe Kinook can provide a similar inbuilt correction mechanism in UltraRecall, because for Outlook 2007 users, especially those that upgrade from 2003, will find this a common problem I believe.
Attached Files
File Type: zip outlook_uri_reg.zip (169.1 KB, 1328 views)

Last edited by igoldsmid; 10-10-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Igoldsmit, thank you very much for the extensiveness of your reply.
I could not try your first solution, because that program is not yet ported to Vista. So i tried your second solution. I added the entry in the registry. after changing 'micros~2' to 'micros~1', i did not get the error message anymore when clicking on the link to open the outlook object which was earlier synchronized with outlook 2003. Now the object was indeed opened in outlook.
However, the synchronization is still not working. I only see a flickering of the tab-window of UR. Then i thought, maybe the text url i am using is not correct. I went to the web site of Teamscope to download Linker for Windows, and then i red this message on their site where you can download Linker:
"OUTLOOK 2007 NOTE: Due to what Microsoft cites as security issues, Outlook 2007 disables the ability for Windows to use or recognize Outlook format links."
Maybe this is the reason why the synchronization is not working any more. When i have more time, i will try to investigate this further. Again, that you very much for your help.

Last edited by roypierce; 10-11-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:51 PM

In my previous post i said that the synchronization did not work, but after investigating it further i discovered that i was using the wrong button. I used the refresh button instead of the synchronization button. I think because the button face of the refresh button looks thesame as that of the synchronization button, but still it is stupid of me.
So what still stands, is that the correction of the registry that Igolsmit describes actually resolved my issue.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM

I also had this issue and the reg fix fixed it. Thanks for posting it here.