Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 08:00 AM

Is it possible to use IE7 Add-Ons/Firefox extensions in UR

I understand that IE7 is used as the default browser within UR.

I'm wondering if there is some way to activate some of the add-ons available for UR (using IE7 as the default).

For example, I notice that we already can use Roboform within UR.

And Roboform is available for both IE7 and Firefox.

There's one that I use right now that is called Powermarks. It is also available for both IE7 and Firefox www.kaylon.com

It has an instantaneous search for Bookmarks and it is very intuitive to use.

Even, then, being able to use it within UR would be nice and could also help me transition over to using UR.

And of course there are a myriad of other wonderful extensions available for Firefox. What about these. Can they be use if I use Firefox as default browser within UR.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:11 AM

Re: Is it possible to use IE7 Add-Ons/Firefox extensions in UR

Quote:
Originally posted by bookman

There's one that I use right now that is called Powermarks. It is also available for both IE7 and Firefox www.kaylon.com

It has an instantaneous search for Bookmarks and it is very intuitive to use. Even, then, being able to use it within UR would be nice and could also help me transition over to using UR.
why would you use that in UR? UR has also search as you type, so import your bookmarks and there you go ...
Old 05-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Well, Powermarks is only an example.

It's hard to appreciate the power of Powermarks unless you have used it and there's probably a lot of additional information that I've accumulated over the years that would be a little hard to import into UR. It also works seamlessly in both IE7 and Firefox.

You kind of serve to a website. Click a button, and it adds to your list of URL. Then you can annotate, rank, prioritise, color code, sort in a limitless order. Very simple and effective to use.

Yes, I know you probably can do that in UR too. But the thought of bringing years of accumulated data over is daunting. I literally have thousands of Bookmarks accumulated over the years. I could probably add attributes to cater for each field and import the data over.

Still nothing beats the one button adding of a bookmark followed immediately by annotating with key words, color coding all at one go.

In any case, there are many other IE7 add-ons/ Firefox extensions that would be useful if they can be activated in UR.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bookman
Still nothing beats the one button adding of a bookmark followed immediately by annotating with key words, color coding all at one go.
Nothing beats it, cause it's very specialized piece of software (which means that it has very limited use).
UR on the other hand is (finding the right word .... ) omnipotent (sorry if the english use is not right in this context)
You can do so much with UR, but maybe you'd have to press one more button compared to specialized software. So it's up to you, you can carry on using dozens of specialized softwares and have your data scattered all over the disk or you decide to put your data in one place, remove redundancies, thus improve speed of search, connect various pieces of informations that simply cannot be connected by using two different pieces of software, thus you create relations that will help you understand the problem or organize yourself better, ...
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
Nothing beats it, cause it's very specialized piece of software (which means that it has very limited use).
UR on the other hand is (finding the right word .... ) omnipotent (sorry if the english use is not right in this context)
You can do so much with UR, but maybe you'd have to press one more button compared to specialized software. So it's up to you, you can carry on using dozens of specialized softwares and have your data scattered all over the disk or you decide to put your data in one place, remove redundancies, thus improve speed of search, connect various pieces of informations that simply cannot be connected by using two different pieces of software, thus you create relations that will help you understand the problem or organize yourself better, ...
Yes, I agree with you that Powermarks is a one trick pony and very good at it. I'll probably move the data over once I figure out how to do it. But if somehow one can get an extension to work, then it eases the transition over.

But then Powermarks is just an example of an extension.

I mean, how does one even get an extension like Roboform to work in UR. Roboform is also a one trick Pony that is very good at what it does. But it works within the UR internal browser.

What about Firefox extensions like CopyUrl+, Adblock, Google Toolbar etc.

So my point is I doubt I can just use Firefox (plain vanilla version) in UR exclusively.

Just hoping one does not need to trade off too much functionality.

Perhaps one way out of this is to just continue using Firefox on its own externally since there's already two UR buttons to click within Firefox to save to UR.