Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 PM

UR3: Great advances and a bright future

I bought UR almost a year ago and I was very impressed with the development expertise behind it. Now with UR3, it has become, indeed, one of the very best information management solutions available today.
As much as I wanted and was looking foward to using it, I just could not make this transition yet. I installed v3 and explored its fantastic features, but for my needs, it is still lacking. Here's why...

1) The 'external editing feature' sounds initially great. But as I put it to the test, it started failing me. I came across 1 scenario where 3 hours worth of data gathering were lost. I created an rtf item, did a cntrl+j, edited the file in ms word externally and saved it. Mistakenly, when I came back to resume my work, I clicked on the link to 'resume internal editing' forgetting that I already had the document opened externally. Once I realized it, I did a cntrl+j and it opened a 'copy 1' of the info item. Neither the info item nor this new external document had any of my additions. So I closed all, opened UR, and here is my info item lacking all my additions. This was such a disappointment.
This whole process of writing to a temp file and having UR keep an eye on it is a scarey proposal. It is prone to so many failures and I was one its victims. At the very minimum, UR should be smart enough to prevent or alert me when it encounters any of these situations ...
- close it (or the database) while there is a document being edited externally.
- Resume internal editing on an info item that is being externally edited.

Saving content is the bread and butter of this app and subjecting it to such potential failures is just too risky for me as it exists today.

2) another feature I was looking forward to seeing in this new release is the ability to layout 2 info items (or more) next to each other to display content simultaneously. This is something I do almost daily and I just can not function without. With its current incarnation, UR allows you to display content of one info item at any given time. I deal with text files a lot and on many occasions I do need to have 2 files display next to each other for comparison.

I was hoping to migrate my years worth of content to UR, but I held off for now primarily for the first reason I mentioned above. I did see some suggestions and work-arounds in this forum to protect from data loss, but none has really appealed to me. These issue should not exist in the first place.

Other than that, the application is a true winner. I just love the layout, the features, and the performance. Every little corner in it speaks to the very high caliper of its developers.

You did earn my respect and admiration for such a great creation. Thank you.