Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 03-22-2006, 06:08 PM

VBP seems to be ignoring preprocessor settings

Hi,

I'm having a few problems with getting projects to build under certain configurations.

The one I'm struggling with at the moment is "Win32 Release MinDependency" where I've found I need to remove the preprocessor definition _ATL_MIN_CRT as per Microsoft's article

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...d=3042&sid=194

This works in the IDE, Visual Studio C++

Linking...
Creating library ReleaseMinDependency/SML_MVA_ErrorLog.lib and object ReleaseMinDependency/SML_MVA_ErrorLog.exp

...but VBP seems to be ignoring the change and still spitting out the message...

Linking...
Creating library ReleaseMinDependency/SML_MVA_ErrorLog.lib and object ReleaseMinDependency/SML_MVA_ErrorLog.exp
LIBCMT.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
ReleaseMinDependency/SML_MVA_ErrorLog.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Does anyone have any ideas on where its going wrong?

Edit :

And I'm having further problems where I've defined a library include path in the IDE and this is also ignored in VBP. The library include path is a setting "global to visual studio" rather than for the project.

Can VBP deal with these kinds of settings?

Last edited by medhurstt; 03-22-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Which version of VC are you running? Which version of VBP (provide the info from Help | About | Install Info)? If it's VC6, do you have the 'Support library dependencies when building multi-project workspaces' option on the Project/Workspace tab checked?
Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Which version of VC are you running? Which version of VBP (provide the info from Help | About | Install Info)? If it's VC6, do you have the 'Support library dependencies when building multi-project workspaces' option on the Project/Workspace tab checked?
Hi, Thanks for replying.

I'm using VC++ 6.0 and it's had SP5 applied to it but that doesn't seem to display in the about box.

VBP is version 6.1 We licensed it only a couple of days ago.

I'm on WinXP Pro SP2.

And yes, I've tried both with and without the "Support library dependencies..." checkbox checked.

Cheers,
Tim.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

If you use project dependencies for .lib binding, you'll definitely want to have that option checked. It sounds like an issue with VC6 when building from the command line (what the Make VC6 action ultimately invokes to actually build a workspace or project). You can verify this by checking the 'Show command-line...' checkbox on the Options tab, rebuilding the step, then copying and pasting the msdev command-line(s) from the build output to a Command Prompt and running from there. If it occurs outside of VBP, you'll need to open a support incident with MS. Otherwise, we'll need a reproducible case to investigate further, including:
1) The .bld file used to build
2) A build log file
3) A .dsw file and .dsp files (no source code files)
Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
If you use project dependencies for .lib binding, you'll definitely want to have that option checked. It sounds like an issue with VC6 when building from the command line (what the Make VC6 action ultimately invokes to actually build a workspace or project). You can verify this by checking the 'Show command-line...' checkbox on the Options tab, rebuilding the step, then copying and pasting the msdev command-line(s) from the build output to a Command Prompt and running from there. If it occurs outside of VBP, you'll need to open a support incident with MS. Otherwise, we'll need a reproducible case to investigate further, including:
1) The .bld file used to build
2) A build log file
3) A .dsw file and .dsp files (no source code files)
Thanks again for replying. The compiles are failing from the command line but working in the IDE. I'm still looking into this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: