Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 01-30-2004, 01:26 AM

Question Compile single file

I would like to compile one file from a VS.Net C++ project. Is this possilbe to do from Visual Build? I could not find any command line switches for this.

Also, what is the best way for changing project settings? For lack of a better way I'm searching/replacing in the .vcproj file.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-01-2004, 01:37 PM

You can build individual projects, but not indvidual files. In a project containing more than one source file it may not make sense to compile individual files in any case.

What manner of project settings are you changing? It is possible to compile specific configurations (/build) and you can create as many configurations in the IDE as you require.

Note that these are VS .NET features and not features or restictions in VBP.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:36 PM

Thanks for responding.

What I'm trying to do is compile an idl file, modify the generated header file file slightly via search and replace, and compile the project with the generate file. For modifying the project settings I'm using a search/replace in .vcproj file -- seems to work OK so far. As a temporary solution, instead of compiling just one file, I can compile the whole project twice, but due to the header dependancies, this is not very efficient, and I have a lot of projects to compile.

I guess what I was hoping was that these things could be done with the visual basic script. Will any VBScript runnable in the IDE perform similarly when run from VBP?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-01-2004, 07:56 PM

Set your project up to use a custom build step that does the .IDL compile then fixes up the headers.

Generally it is much easier to get everything working if you can use VBP to build your project in the same way that it is built from the IDE, so using configurations to provide settings rather than futzing with the project files and using a custom tool rather than a "manual" edit step are likely to get you there quicker.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: