Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 AM

Long time to copy web page to UR

Hi,

I find the 'copy to Ultra Recall' really useful in IE and Firefox. However, it routinely takes 30-45 seconds to complete the process - sometimes longer. Even the 'copy link to UR' takes about 20 seconds. Even simple pages take this long.

I've seen another post on this topic, but no resolution. Should it take this long? I have a fast PC (3ghz dual core, lots of memory).

Any idea why this should be the case?

Many thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 AM

please give an example of the website a state how long it took to link and to store (and please state whether you are indexing). The least we can do is to compare ...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 AM

OK, so I copied this page (as in, this forum post) with Firefox.

First time it got to 120 seconds and still hadn't finished but I noticed my anti-virus was churning away a bit so I cancelled the copy and disabled my anti-virus (Kaspersky 7). It then took 38 seconds.

To send a link to UR was much quicker - 5 seconds. I guess it normally takes longer when I have the anti-virus enabled.

But still, 38 seconds is still a long time for a small page, even when the anti-virus turned off (which I obviously don't want to do if I can help it). It is just as slow with IE.

I used to use Windows Onecare and it was similarly slow to copy and link.

I'm using UR 3.2.1 and database size is 22mb. I compacted it this morning.

I assume that the anti-virus is causing part of the slow-down then, but why would it still be quite slow when the AV is turned off?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 AM

old 1.6 pentium centrino with 1GB RAM:

4 seconds to store (with indexing, 176 keywords)
<2 to link

Antivirus: Nod32 running
Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ferp_ferp
OK, so I copied this page (as in, this forum post) with Firefox.

First time it got to 120 seconds and still hadn't finished but I noticed my anti-virus was churning away a bit so I cancelled the copy and disabled my anti-virus (Kaspersky 7). It then took 38 seconds.

To send a link to UR was much quicker - 5 seconds. I guess it normally takes longer when I have the anti-virus enabled.

But still, 38 seconds is still a long time for a small page, even when the anti-virus turned off (which I obviously don't want to do if I can help it). It is just as slow with IE.

I used to use Windows Onecare and it was similarly slow to copy and link.

I'm using UR 3.2.1 and database size is 22mb. I compacted it this morning.

I assume that the anti-virus is causing part of the slow-down then, but why would it still be quite slow when the AV is turned off?
UR uses the same underlying APIs as IE to retrieve web pages, so if IE is slow it makes sense that UR is also slow. The solution would be to determine why IE is slow and fix that.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Hmm, OK. So does UR use the same API when I copy from Firefox?

Aside from that, I don't find IE to be slow at all. It renders pages as quickly as I would expect - ie. with very little delay.

Quote:
Anything else I can try? Is there some logging I can switch on?

Last edited by ferp_ferp; 08-27-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

1) Exit UR
2) Download and extract http://www.kinook.com/Download/test.zip to the UR installation path
3) Start UR
4) Perform the steps that result in the slow import
5) ZIP and send %TEMP%\ks_trace.txt (literally type %TEMP% into a Windows Explorer address bar to navigate there) to support@kinook.com

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Done and done.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Standard Windows internet API calls are very slow on your system (200 to 4000 milliseconds vs. 1 to 2 milliseconds in our tests). I'm not sure what would be causing that. Here are some possibilities:
http://www.google.com/search?q=internetconnect%20slow
Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 AM

Hmm, thanks for the response. I don't know why either. I had Kaspersky completely turned off when I did the trace file.

The link above just goes to a list of WinInet functions - is it the right link?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

That was the wrong link. It's fixed now.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 AM

OK, thanks. I don't have a slow internet connection in general however. As I said in my mail, I routinely get 500K/s download speeds and pages load quickly in IE and FF.

Maybe it's a Vista issue, maybe not. I guess I've lived with it this long I can live with it a bit longer.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
OK, thanks. I don't have a slow internet connection in general however. As I said in my mail, I routinely get 500K/s download speeds and pages load quickly in IE and FF.

Maybe it's a Vista issue, maybe not. I guess I've lived with it this long I can live with it a bit longer.
Frankly, I cannot understand it the slow copy either

See below which is from an earlier thread which is contrasting UR webpage copy speed with two other programs :

Kinook Software Forums - Why does Ultra Recall take so much longer to save a webpage ?
"Why does Ultra Recall take so much longer to save a webpage ?

Besides Ultra Recall, I use two other program to capture webpages. I'm actually trying to settle on 1 or 2 but not using all 3.

Ideally, I would like to stick with just 1 and hopefully I would like to settle on just using Ultra Recall.

And both these other programs are much faster at the webpage captures.

For example, it may take Ultra Recall a full 12 full seconds, Program A, 1 sec and Program B 3 secs.

Program A also indexes the captures and I can search for the article instantaneously.

Program B also indexes the captures except that it does not do instantaneous search. I have to type the keyword and hit enter.

I'm just plain curious - Why the big difference ?"
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2926
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Most likely, it is the same issue (standard Windows internet API calls returning very slowly). UR has no control over how quickly those function calls return. I'm not sure what would be causing it. Perhaps some security software is singling out UR and causing the slow behavior.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Most likely, it is the same issue (standard Windows internet API calls returning very slowly). UR has no control over how quickly those function calls return. I'm not sure what would be causing it. Perhaps some security software is singling out UR and causing the slow behavior.
But the point I'm trying to make is that the other two programs do it much faster and in fact one of them which also uses a Button on the Explorer bar is the quickest of the lot - almost instantaneous whether from IE or Firefox itself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: