Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM

How do I attach correctly?

I really don't like having imported items as their own listing in the Data Explorer, and do not want to view any imported items within UR itself.
I just want to import them and see them as icons that I can click on to open in the external application (basically I want to store word documents, stored procedures, spreadsheets, etc. inside the info item that has information about them, and never view these documents within UR).

I find that I am able to do that by dragging and dropping items from Windows Explorer to an existing item (see image).
However, some file types refuse to do that. They display internally no matter what I do (again, see image).

Also i find that often dragging and dropping an excel spreadsheet to an open item will initially display the spreadsheet internally, then causes UR to completely lock up. I have to close UR, restart it, then remove the .xls or .xlsx. Even after restarting, if I do not remove the .xls that is displaying embedded within an item, eventually UR is going to lock up again. Sometimes I get this lockup when dragging/dropping other types of files to existing items also. I'm not talking about huge files, either. These are files way under 100k in size.

I've tried changing import options, browser option, editor options, dropping them on different types of info items, everything I can find to get these files to stop displaying internally and stop causing a complete lockup of the application.

Is what I want to do here possible? If not, why does it work fine for some file extensions but not for others?

thanks,
Mark.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator

You would need to import the files into the Data Explorer tree, not into the detail area of a text item. And also remove any file extensions that you don't want to display internally from 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view', 'Tools | Options | Editor | File extensions to display in text editor', 'Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in image viewer' and/or 'Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in MIME viewer'.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Are you saying that dragging/dropping files directly to the detail area of an item is not supposed to be done for some reason even though it does create attachment icons which are (to me at least) a lot more desirable than separate entries in the Data Explorer tree?

These options do not have an impact on excel spreadsheets dragged/dropped on a text item:
'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view', 'Tools | Options | Editor | File extensions to display in text editor', 'Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in image viewer' and/or 'Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in MIME viewer'

If you drag/drop an excel spreadsheet on an item (not on the Data Explorer tree), the contents of the spreadsheet are displayed in the item itself regardless of the above settings. Also a good percentage of the time, that will cause a complete lockup of UR and the app will have to be restarted.

If users are not supposed to drag/drop attachments directly to item details, why does it work for most file types?

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited by Nobodo; 08-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Administrator

You can do that, but it sounded like the display of the dropped item was not what you wished for (that is handled by the MS rich edit control and isn't something we can change).

To prevent Excel spreadsheets that are imported as documented (into the tree) from displaying in UR, remove .xls, .xlsx, and .zip from 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view' and/or add .xls;.xlsx to 'Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally'.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM

I guess I'll just stop attaching to the body of an item itself in favor of adding as an imported item in the data explorer. It seems that those items the rich text control deem should be displayed inline often cause a lockup in UR, so it's just not worthwhile.

Thanks for your help,
Mark.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator

You might try using a different version of riched20.dll.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2853

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: