Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Potential Newby Questions....

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and have been using a product called Do-Organizer from GEMX, however I have finally had enough of their bugs and issues with the program, that I am now looking for something else to take its place.

I am having to revert back to using Outlook 2007, which from what I have read throughout these forums so far, can be integrated into UltraRecall...is this correct?

Also, can some of you give me some info from your experience of using UR about what it is good and and not so good at? and did you think it was worth the money?

Is it going to be kept in development etc?

(GEMX are no longer around so it seems, no support at all now for over 5 months or so)

What are the plans for future development?

Cheers and regards
Rossco
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Hi Rossco

Yes, I bought doOrganizer a few years ago when it first came out. But I only used it for a short while because a) it was seriously buggy then, and seems still is, and b) the gemx team had an unbelievable habit of disappearing for weeks and dropping all support, as it seems they have again - but this time for months or permanently. Imagine one day putting a note on your forum page that you are doing maintenance and moving your forum server - and months later the same maintenance status pertains - i.e. it's complete BS and who knows what they are up to, gone out of business whatever.

I've been using UR since it first came out. I used it extensively at first. Then ran into various limitations as one does with all these products - and stopped using it for some time. BUT..... With Version 3 UltraRecall Pro is really a terrific product - its got most of what I need, and what it doesn't have now, - Kinook have on the road map - and as far as I can tell, these guys are about as committed to the future of UR as anyone would want and expect - i.e. very committed.

Following a few teething problems at the start of the Version 3 release, the integration with Outlook 2007 (and all the other Office 2007 components) now works perfectly. One great thing about it is you can synchronize entire folders, pst's, a selection of items, or one item - and that includes Contacts, Tasks, Emails, Calendar, Journal, Notes... I don't recommend synchronizing a whole PST file, or a Folder that has thousands of items, only because the incremental sync takes a while... And another great thing, is if, as an example, like me, you are wanting to create a custom CRM system, I can drag and drop, or sync my Outlook Contact Folder with UR, then add a bunch of Custom Properties to UR Contact Template, then Create a Custom Form for Contacts, and "boom" an infinitely extensible Customer Relationship Management System. And of course you can add properties ad infinitum to any Items, and then choose which of them to display in a Custom Forms associated with any Item Type.

If Omea Pro had stayed in business and was aggressively pursuing the development of new and updated features, then UR would have a real competitor. But right now, UR Pro is on its own with respect to providing a personal information management system that integrates almost flawlessly with your Microsoft 2000/3/7 products.

Another great feature is the ability to copy url links to any UR Items that you can then paste into other applications. I like to have "40,000 foot" navigation of my stuff visually. So instead of, for example, creating Favorites in UR, I capture the Items' url links, and paste them into Personal Brain, or another Visual Mapping Application I just picked up which I am finding to be "best of breed" - called XMIND. Now I have a high level Concept Map, or Mind Map, that I use to visually navigate all the important or favorite Items in UR, plus links to files on my PC and Web pages....

Ian

Last edited by igoldsmid; 10-08-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
Hi Rossco

If Omea Pro had stayed in business and was aggressively pursuing the development of new and updated features, then UR would have a real competitor. But right now, UR Pro is on its own with respect to providing a personal information management system that integrates almost flawlessly with your Microsoft 2000/3/7 products.

Another great feature is the ability to copy url links to any UR Items that you can then paste into other applications. I like to have "40,000 foot" navigation of my stuff visually. So instead of, for example, creating Favorites in UR, I capture the Items' url links, and paste them into Personal Brain, or another Visual Mapping Application I just picked up which I am finding to be "best of breed" - called XMIND. Now I have a high level Concept Map, or Mind Map, that I use to visually navigate all the important or favorite Items in UR, plus links to files on my PC and Web pages....

Ian
Hi Ian,
thanks for the info, I thought I recognised your name from somewhere, and it will be from either GEMX Forum, or Omea's, as I too went the Omea Pro route, only to find they ditched professional development of it and went open source....(which may not be a bad thing, but I want a product for business as well as personal use, so need reliability etc)

I like the way you say UR can import PST's (or sync with them)...does this mean I can send an email from within UR using Outlooks engine, without having to flick over to Outlook?....

Now that would be awesome, as this is something you could do with Omea Pro as it integrated with Outlook!

Yeah, I too would be dumping stuff form UR into Mind Manager to get my Mindmaps....from the sounds of it, UR makes it easy..

I will download the trial and give it a whirl...

Kind regards
Rossc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: