Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 06:07 AM

Unhappy "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy"

I'm trying out URD and really, really want to buy it... if only I coud be sure it would work. A couple of times now it has proved impossible to shift the window focus to URD (with either the taskbar button or alt+tab). It wasn't busy - the computer wasn't busy - it just wasn't having it. End program, restart program, all well.

Today there's a new error message when I try to look at the open URD instance:

"This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'switch to' to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

Actually, to start with it claimed that the action couldn' t be completed because Microsoft Word was busy, but resorted to complaining about 'the other program' when I closed Word. If I click 'switch to' in this error dialogue it brings up the start menu.

OK - ctrl+alt+delete. (No other way to end the program.)

Please tell me there's a fix for this!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:52 PM

This is the first report we've had of this behaviour, can you provide any details on what actions you have taken (in Ultra Recall) immediately before this situation is encountered?

What version(s) of Microsoft Word (or Microsoft Office) do you have installed? What operating system are you using (the best way to obtain Ultra Recall/OS information is on the menu: Help -> About -> Install Info...) Just click the Copy button, then paste into an email to support@kinook.com along with the other requested info.

Since Ultra Recall doesn't invoke Microsoft Word via COM (or any other means) it doesn't make much sense that Ultra Recall would ever display this dialog...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:36 PM

I don't believe it has anything to do with Word, either: hence the continuation of the same problem after Word was closed. Email on the way, anyhow...
Old 03-31-2005, 08:39 AM

Same error

I have received the same error several times. This seems to happen in a few situations:

First, this error appears if Ultra Recall was terminated improperly and leaves the external copies of opened internal files in the temp directory. Deleting the temp files returns Ultra Recall back to normal. Of course, whatever edits where made to the external copy are lost.

Second, this also appears if a file is open for editing within Ultra Recall and externally (open document) at the same time. I avoid this problem by not left clicking on a file I want to edit externally before selecting open document.

Third, this can also happen after Microsoft Word is closed, but leaves remnants of itself in memory. Word often does not close when it is closed. Looking in the task manager frequently shows Word processes running even after the problem has been closed for some time. Terminating those processes manually fixes the problem.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks very much! I shouldn't be surprised if one of these had caused it. My computer's a crotchety old beast at present, and has certainly frozen with UltraRecall open before now.

I've been looking at possible alternative programs. Seems I can either have half the usability and features, or pay twice (or ten times) the price - or, of course, both.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 AM

Other Programs

Hello,

While these problems are annoying, I have not found any other application that has comparable features or is as stable as Ultra Recall. At the same time, the rapid and substantive response of Ultra Recall's developers is outstanding. That said, there are a few functions that I would like to see added to Ultra Recall, such as hierarchical single-page outlining (following NoteMap) and better integration with PIM's such as Outlook.

One reason I finally purchased Ultra Recall was in part to "vote with my pocket book" and show my support for the developers. I realized that my time searching for the Holy Grail of information management was a waste. It doesn't exist, but Ultra Recall appears to be on the right track.

As an aside, you might take a look at the information mangagement section of the following web page: http://www.sultanhesari.com/researchsoftware.htm (which by the way does not list Ultra Recall).

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Unhappy Deja vu all over again

So two years on I'm running UltraRecall on my brand new Vista (*bright shiny grin*) computer.

I start the program.

"Server busy

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'switch to to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

I have the options 'switch to...' and 'retry'. Clicking retry does nothing. Clicking 'switch to' brings up the start menu. I can click 'switch to' as many times as I like, and it will always bring up the start menu. Clicking around in the start menu and dismissing it makes no odds.

Ctrl+alt+delete; close UR. Re-open. Same problem.

I'm assuming that restarting the computer will work... I've been running UR on Vista for a few weeks now without this problem. But I'd be really happy if it didn't happen.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 PM

Re: Deja vu all over again

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
So two years on I'm running UltraRecall on my brand new Vista (*bright shiny grin*) computer.

I start the program.

"Server busy

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'switch to to activate the busy program and correct the problem."[snip]
Hilary, I've had this happen on my very old, swarmy, w2k-sp4 machine... usually when in the browser.

Kinook, I'm sorry to report that I cannot tell you what I was doing just before this came up but will try to take note the next time it happens (which isn't very often). But I also think I reported this before; maybe during beta testing. Didn't take a note in UR so I don't remember.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 AM

I had a very nasty shock when the computer started this morning, starting UR automatically, and there were a couple of 'server busy' messages between me and my data. Luckily this time they did disappear when I clicked 'switch to'. But... eek.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
I had a very nasty shock when the computer started this morning, starting UR automatically, and there were a couple of 'server busy' messages between me and my data. Luckily this time they did disappear when I clicked 'switch to'. But... eek.
Hilary, on another matter, a senior member of this community suggested not starting URp on windows startup. Instead, start URp manually after Windows has finished its 'thing'. Why don't you try that for a while & see if that helps.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks - I'll try that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: