Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM

using PDF-Xchange instead of Acrobat

Is there any way to use PDF-Xchange instead of Adobe Acrobat to read/edit .pdf files WITHIN UR. Adobe works fine, but I want to be able to highlight and comment files and it does not allow this.

IF there is no way, could this be a possible implementation for a future release of UR?

Many thanks

Don
Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Don, Do u mean u can read but not edit pdf-exchange within URp or that u can't get pdf-exchange to appear within URp docs pane?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM

I mean that I can't get pdf-xchange to read within UR. One of the neat features of pdf-xchange is that it allows some easy editing, commenting, and highlighting, that Acrobat doesn't and I like that facility. Basically however, the first step is to be able to read within UR, using PDF-Xchange

Don
Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dspady
I mean that I can't get pdf-xchange to read within UR. One of the neat features of pdf-xchange is that it allows some easy editing, commenting, and highlighting, that Acrobat doesn't and I like that facility. Basically however, the first step is to be able to read within UR, using PDF-Xchange

Don
it surely is nice to have it open inside UR, but it's really not that important (I don't really understand why people seem to be obsessed with that). It's not UR's problem, the requirement is for the application to run embedded inside internet explorer. You can use adobe reader or foxit for opening inside UR and when you need to edit, open explorer menu CTRL+E, and open it with your pdf editor ...

Maybe Kinook could maintain a single page on these forums with the applications that are known to be able to run inside UR ...
Old 12-02-2007, 04:08 PM

I am not totally committed to PDF-Xchange. I downloaded and installed Foxit and made it my default .pdf reader, but in UR it still opens up with Adobe. How do I get foxit to open in UR?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Installing Foxit Reader makes it the viewer in IE (and UR when configured to show .pdf in the browser view) for me (although I had Acrobat Reader installed and uninstalled it first). You would need to contact the Foxit vendor for problems with registering it for embedding in IE.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dspady
I am not totally committed to PDF-Xchange. I downloaded and installed Foxit and made it my default .pdf reader, but in UR it still opens up with Adobe. How do I get foxit to open in UR?

Thanks
I believe -- as Kinook has reported -- that Acrobat has to be uninstalled. I, too, have Foxit reader installed to read within URp & I, too, had to uninstall Acrobat for this to work properly. The same may be true for PDF-exchange. You might try that as a first step.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM

I downloaded the latest version of PDF Xchange (ver 1, build 30) and ticked on the 'view in browser' under preferences, file associations and it worked!
I had already deleted Adobe Acrobat so I don't know if you have to do that or not, but if you do, PDF-Xchange WILL work.

Many thanks to all.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Don, could you use the extras within URp?, i.e. highlight, etc.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 AM

Yes. That is the neat thing! Frankly it is the only reason I wanted to be able to use PDF-Xchange within UR, otherwise Acrobat was perfectly good.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM

sounds great. I've now in the midst of installing it. I say 'in the midst' because every time I dbl clk on a pdf file, I get an error msg about not finding a ghost script & it doesn't call the viewer as it's not associated w the program. This, despite the fact that in folder file types, pdf is associate w the proper program. However I can drag/drop a pdf file onto the viewer & it works fine so I don't know what's going on. If you have any ideas let me know. BTW, I did set exchange as the default viewer & no other viewers are currently installed to compete.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 PM

I'm not too sure what to say. I had no problems in installing or running it. If I come up with a solution I will let you know.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Don, If you get a moment. I'd appreciate it if you could check a setting for me.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | Tab: File Types | PDF | Advanced | Browse in the Same Window

Is 'Browse in the Same Window' checked?

I was finally able to install exchange ok except it would not open within URp.

This particular option I mention was greyed out & not available for selection & I think that's the culprit &, if so, I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

I had that problem too, so I went to the PDFXchange web site and downloaded the latest version (was released a few days ago.) It is version 1, build 30. After that, there was no problem. I could easily check the view in browser box.

Don

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: