Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to vogelap
There is a convertor from 2.2.x databases to 3.x databases (you must run the 2.2.x exported database through 3.1 (apparently, the 2.2.x import functionality has been removed in post-3.1 versions of Evernote (stupid decision, imo)).

For Ultra Recall Pro, the ideal solution would be if Kinook supported BOTH EverNote 2.2.x and Evernote 3.x imports. (I recognize that 2.2.x users are a minority, but I don't see that the export formats are drastically different, so it might not be much additional work to implement both imports.)

If Kinook decided to support only the import of 3.x databases, that would be acceptable since I can go 2.2.x->3.1->URp. However, I worry about losing metadata (like Note Links, which are not supported in Evernote 3.x) in the process (especially transitioning between 2.2.x & 3.1)...

Last edited by vogelap; 04-01-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vogelap
There is a convertor from 2.2.x databases to 3.x databases (you must run the 2.2.x exported database through 3.1 (apparently, the 2.2.x import functionality has been removed in post-3.1 versions of Evernote (stupid decision, imo)).
Yeah, that's the dropping of support for 2.2 by Evernote I was talking about earlier.

Quote:
For Ultra Recall Pro, the ideal solution would be if Kinook supported BOTH EverNote 2.2.x and Evernote 3.x imports. (I recognize that 2.2.x users are a minority, but I don't see that the export formats are drastically different, so it might not be much additional work to implement both imports.)

If Kinook decided to support only the import of 3.x databases, that would be acceptable since I can go 2.2.x->3.1->URp. However, I worry about losing metadata (like Note Links, which are not supported in Evernote 3.x) in the process (especially transitioning between 2.2.x & 3.1)...
I noticed that Pierre (IQ) also only has import capability for EN 2.2 and has been putting off doing the same for 3.x - I would guess that it is more difficult for some reason.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
Yeah, that's the dropping of support for 2.2 by Evernote I was talking about earlier.
When EverNote changed to Evernote, they did a STELLAR job of alienating their "MVP"-level users (I was among them). That behavior presented an AMAZING education in how NOT to operate. Killing all the much-loved and differentiating features was another education.

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
I noticed that Pierre (IQ) also only has import capability for EN 2.2 and has been putting off doing the same for 3.x - I would guess that it is more difficult for some reason[/B]
It is my very strong suspicion that En3.x import has not been implemented in IQ because the folks driving the implementation of that import (namely, me & others) have moved away from IQ as a "too programmy" solution. I want a PIM, not a framework in which I can program a PIM, if you follow me.

OH! I forgot to mention this earlier... I use EverNote 2.2.x with Dropbox -- I store my ENbase in Dropbox -- and it works FLAWLESSLY.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM

I certainly know what you mean about IQ. It's cool, but who has the time to build all that infrastructure? UR is plenty flexible for my needs--I have loads of custom templates (and entertaining icons!) for the data types I use.

Drew, about Dropbox, could you please elaborate? Are you syncing the db file between PCs and Dropbox, or are you actually loading the remote db in Evernote from various locations?

Cheers,
David
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by critStock
UR is plenty flexible for my needs--I have loads of custom templates (and entertaining icons!) for the data types I use.
I agree. I am enjoying the process of learning URp. My progress is slow because of my limited time to spend on it, but I am so far impressed.

Any insight/tips/suggestions you could provide about templates, icons, or URp best-practices would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally posted by critStock
Drew, about Dropbox, could you please elaborate? Are you syncing the db file between PCs and Dropbox, or are you actually loading the remote db in Evernote from various locations?
Sure... It's pretty simple, really... Put your ENbase (or your URp .urd file, etc) into Dropbox (I put mine in "EverNote Files" and "UltraRecall Files" directories in Dropbox to keep things tidy).

If you decide to register (free) on Dropbox, please go through this link (https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTUxNzE0Nzk) to give me credit as your referrer... I appreciate that!

Launch the application and point to that file. Do your work. When you exit the application, the file is synchronized with Dropbox. Any machines you have authorized to sync to your Dropbox account receive the updated version, and you're good to go. It works transparently in the background, no fuss, no mess.

In Dropbox, I store my working files for BigOven, EverNote, Evernote, Ultra Recall Pro, OneNote, InfoQube (SQLNotes), KeePass, Quicken, and as an online "USB stick" for other file storage too.

Please let me know of any questions.

Last edited by vogelap; 04-02-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for sharing your method! What I currently use is PowerFolder, which syncs my files (including UR and other databases) by a peer-to-peer method. It works just fine. The same caveat applies as with your method: you need to close the db program on computer X before you can work on it on computer Y. In that sense I guess these two methods are pretty much equivalent.

My problem is absent-mindedness: forgetting to close on one pc before opening on another. I've been working on a solution that uses a batch file that closes all the relevant programs. I then use Windows scheduler to schedule the batch to run every 15 minutes, but only if the system has been idle for 15 minutes. This way the programs don't close if I'm working on the pc. This is imperfect, since I might be looking in a book for 20 minutes, and the applications will be closed before I'm done with them. In order to minimize this inconvenience, I've written another batch file to start all the closed programs with one click. This works swimmingly on my xp systems, but I haven't quite ironed out all the kinks on my single Win 7 system. The reason this method works with programs like UR and Surfulater is that they write all changes to the db either immediately or when the program closes. If you did the same thing with, say, MS Word, and hadn't saved your work, this close command would generate a dialogue box ("Save Changes?"). Then again, there is no reason to keep programs like Word open all the time, as one likes to do with UR, etc.

Okay, that was verbose. If you've read this far, I'd be interested to hear what you think of this method...

Best,
David
Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Hi David!

Phew! That's a lot of work... I tend to be in favor of the easiest solution -- which would be to remember to shut down programs on computers I'm not currently using.

Additionally, I'd probably install VNC or something to allow me to get into my computer remotely and shut stuff down should I forget, but that's just me!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Additionally, I'd probably install VNC or something to allow me to get into my computer remotely and shut stuff down should I forget, but that's just me!
You can sync your files and remotely access your computer using Microsoft's Live Mesh...www.mesh.com
Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Hi David!

Phew! That's a lot of work...
Hi, Drew. Actually, it's no work at all, now that I've written the batch file and configured the scheduler. All of that took maybe an hour, but now it's all completely automatic on all my machines. I never have to think about it. It was probably my clumsy description that made it sound like a lot of work. (The effort all stemmed from reading my turgid prose!)

All the best,
David
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 AM

$bill:

I used Live Mesh during their beta test period, or at least for a good part of the beta - probably about the first half or a little more. However as happens with beta releases there were a few big oopes where I lost some data. Now I naturally had copies of all files in Mesh stored elsewhere so there was no actual data loss but I did finally drop out of the beta when I decided to go with Dropbox, which seemed to have their sync process working with more stability.

I haven't gone back and tried Mesh again. Sounds like it is running well at this point. I gather you are satisfied with it since you are recommending it here. Maybe I'll give it another go, though I do have a 100 GB premium subscription with Dropbox currently.

Thank you.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: