Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 11-14-2003, 08:45 AM

stop execution in one group and continue in the next

Hello;

I have the following scenario and am wondering what the best way to implement it is:

I have 2 Groups in my VBP project, say DataLayer and BusinessLayer. If a failure occurs in the DataLayer, I go to DataLayer Failure Steps Group and don't want to execute any more steps in the DataLayer Group. However, after the DataLayer Failure Steps is done, I want/need to continue execution at the start of the next group, BusinessLayer.

I'm sure there is a way to do this, just not sure what is best.

Thanks,
Dawson
Old 11-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Administrator

A couple options:

1) Move the BusinessLayer group into a subroutine, then use a Subroutine Call step to call the subroutine from the regular build steps (after the DataLayer steps) and the failure steps. You could also add a Set Macro step at the end of the data layer subroutine (i.e., set a temporary macro DATA_LAYER_DONE to 1), and add a conditional build rule on the Subroutine Call step on the Failure tab to build only if %DATA_LAYER_DONE% is not defined, so that if the build fails after the data layer steps have completed, those steps will not be built again.

2) Put the DataLayer steps in a separate project, then call that project from the main build with a VisBuildPro Project step, marking that step to ignore failure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: