Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 02-17-2006, 06:11 AM

Lite Reminder Monitor for UR

Dear Kinook,

I tend not to clutter up my "Start up" folder as I hate windows taking ages to load.

This results in some mornings where I come into work, start my PC and get involved in emails etc. I don't start UR until the first time I want to look something up or insert something.

The problem with this is that some reminders can be missed.

My previous program Time and Chaos comes with a *very* light reminder monitor that I don't mind having run on startup. This polls for reminders and shows them even when the main program is not running.

The monitor exists only as a small icon in the system tray so does not take up any important screen real estate.

The monitor can be enabled or disabled via the main program.

Would you consider such a mini-app for UR?

Best regards,
Daniel
Old 02-17-2006, 01:52 PM

good idea

I was using Mindjet mindmanager until I ran into gross performance issues... but one good feature was a reminders service that ran as a system service (using about 4meg ram) at startup...

It would be helpful for UR to have one of these, with an option to having it run or not at startup...
Old 02-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator

My main Info Database has 3,500 items and is 300MB in size, and it opens at Windows startup in a second or two and consumes less than 20MB of memory total.

Ultra Recall seems like the type of application that you either use very frequently or not at all, which coupled with its CPU/memory efficiency, seems to negate most of the benefits of a separate reminder service since you will be probably be starting the entire application shortly after Windows startup anyway.

One additional issue with a reminder "service": which Info Databases should you be reminded about? Currently this is determined by which Info Databases are opened in the Ultra Recall application...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Kevin, that makes total sense... thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 PM

sure one might use it a lot but i generally like to keep my start menu empty to try to minimize my windows start up time.

often it might be 30-60 mins (sometimes more) or so after I switch my pc on that i bring up my existing scheduler (Time & Chaos). During this time i can still get reminded of appointments even though i haven't started the main program.

I suppose I am also in a slightly different sitaution that I have my UR set up to perform a sync with my central repository every time it starts up and shuts down. this can take half a minute or so to complete.

any reminder would not add to the bloat. it would be a small exe in the UR install directory. the only change to UR would be a toggle that added the path to that exe into the startup folder or deleted it from there.

I'd be interested to hear if there is anyone else who might support this request!

I don't mean to push unduly though - it's a small niggle that won't stop me using UR.

Daniel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: