Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM

Angry Lost my data ?

I have a films database that I was editing when UR crashed,
I do run a lot of background programs so could have been one of them caused it.

My problem is that the database has now not got ANY of the data in it.

I tried a file recovery program and found this as a deleted file from about the time of the crash.

Films.urd-journal

Is it possible to change or extract data from this file?

I do have a backup of the database but from yesterday so have lost a lot of work which I can re-enter but if there is another way I would prefer.

Any suggestions welcome
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 PM

While a crash of Ultra Recall would result in the last (unsaved) changes from being lost, it should never result in the complete loss of the data in the .urd file.

Ultra Recall uses the highly reliable, fully atomic sqlite database engine which provides very high performance and efficiency while ensuring that all changes to .urd files are transactional (all or nothing)... The .urd-journal files are used in this transaction processing - but unfortunately cannot be used to recover information from.

Is the .urd file simply gone, empty, or corrupt? The only explanation I can think of is that something on your computer actually deleted or corrupted the .urd file (like a failing hard-drive or other process or application)...

If the .urd file is present but seems to be corrupted, you can send it to support@kinook.com for our analysis and potential recovery (which is probably not likely).
Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM

kevina - Thanks for the quick reply.

I think maybe a secondary program upset UR as you suggest by deleting the database, because when I reloaded UR and the films database there was just the templates etc like a blank new database, with the file size reduced considerably.

I will use my backup from yesterday.

Again thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eno
kevina - Thanks for the quick reply.

I think maybe a secondary program upset UR as you suggest by deleting the database, [snip]
This is a scary scenario. Do you know what program might have caused this?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 AM

Sorry no i use so many running programs throughout the day and know from experiance that some upset other programs or effect them in different ways, some are acceptable effects some not.

As lots know word effects UR by forcing on it behaviours that would best not be, but UR benefits overall, and by using word for those who choose to use it, UR is a richer program because of it.

I suppose because I have used computers as a tool from the zx81 upwards I have got used to bad behaved programs. I think data execution prevention or DEP in windows is causing more problems than some realise, no not the problem I had this time (?).

Macro programs, file and registry maintenance, anti spyware, to auto defrag programs in the past have caused problems for me. Also virtual desktop programs have but I was not using one when I had this problem. I do use Dexpot sometimes which I have found a very good virtual desktop program which you can have up to 20 virtual desktops, and its free.

Ultra Recall since installing some time ago I use every working day, and also use it for my own benefit hence the movie database, its used for customer details, email records, private details, capturing web pages, research etc. and would find it hard to go back to other programs again, I would recommend UR to any one.

Last edited by eno; 04-04-2007 at 06:18 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: