Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevina
Could everyone who has posted (or reads the forum and experiences AVs with Ultra Recall) post (or email to support@kinook.com) the info found at Help | About | Install Info? Also include your Internet Explorer version (we should probably include that in "Install Info"). Finally, please report if you are displaying the Database Toolbar.
Ultra Recall Professional 3.2
Registered to: Jon Polish (1-user license)
Windows version: 5.1.2600.2.0
Install path: C:\Program Files\Ultra Recall
EncryptPDF.dll version 3.0.0.2
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
pdf2txt.dll version 3.1.0.4
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.4
riched20.dll version 5.50.99.2010
SftPrintPreview_IX86_U_10.dll version 1.05
SftTree_IX86_U_50.dll version 5.06
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.0.3
unins000.exe version 51.46.0.0
Database filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Polish\My Documents\Ultra Recall\JP.urd
Database version: 3.0.12

I display the database toolbar most of the time, but have gotten AVs without it. Using IE 6.0.

Jon
Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm seeing acces violations and other crashes regularly also. I've posted about these before, and now I've largely resigned myself to that fact. That and increasing anxiety about how UR will handle stored files as my dbs hit near 800MB has prompted me to shift out of UR except for passwords/etc. (I know folks have recommended just linking, but for me, that doesn't fit my workflow.)

I know that Kinook tried hard to debug--it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM

no AVs

I'd like to add my 2 cents: I'm *not* getting AVs in UR and I use it for hours at a time.

Now, I'm not bragging <g>, but this must be a clue. I assume it's something about my setup/how I use UR.

I *know* it can't be clean living!

Here's my info:

Ultra Recall Professional 3.2
Registered to: Ralph Smith (1-user license)
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.0.1
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsftEdit.dll version 5.41.15.1514
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RichEd20.dll version 5.30.23.1228
Database filename: C:\Documents and Settings\ralf\My Documents\Ultra Recall Data\Work.urd

Three things jump out at me compared to the users who've posted in this thread and are getting AVs:

- I never work with more than one tab open. I just forget! The other 2 pane PiMs I've used didn't have tabs, so I never use them.

- My Riched20.dll is 5.30. I notice ones in this thread of 5.50. On my system, the only riched20 5.50 is the one included with Office 2003. If the users with AVs are using the Office RTF control, that could be a factor...

- I use Inernet Explorer 7. <shrug> Maybe it's not significant, but it's a difference.

Hope this helps...

R
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UR user
That and increasing anxiety about how UR will handle stored files as my dbs hit near 800MB has prompted me to shift out of UR except for passwords/etc. (I know folks have recommended just linking, but for me, that doesn't fit my workflow.)

I know that Kinook tried hard to debug--it just wasn't meant to be.
So what are you using now?

Jon
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM

As for the replacement, I'm looking into the following:

Zoot, which I used for a long time (for password like info). A 32bit beta is now circulating.

Onenote, for the more project support management that I was using UR.

As for embedding files, I'm trying to see if Onenote will behave well as a page holder for files. Since each onenote section is a separate physical file, less chance of size getting to be aproblem.

I know that it doesnt' search embedded files, which is a problem, although there's some hints that the next iteration will address this weakness.

I have used Web Research (formerly contentsaver) for web page saves, which works quite well. But I need to decrease the # of repositories, which is why I'm looking so hard into Onenote.

Evernote has some of the features of Zoot, but it overlaps too much with Onennote to justify another app. Also, as much as I hate to say this, banking on MS for long-term survival is a safe bet. The smaller shops are extremely innovative, but inevitably riskier.

Again, I wish I could get UR not to crash. And although I haven't lost data through crashes generally, if you're working on an embedded file when it crashes, you can easily lose the most recent changes. And mass imports of hundreds of files and trying to keep them in sync are tricky endeavors; I have lost data "importing" files, then deleting them off my hard drive, only to find that some of the imports didn't stick.

UR is an extraordinary proram, but for some of us, there are idiosyncratic conflicts that, at least for me, are serious enough to migrate out. Most seem to have no problem, so congrats and keep enjoying UR!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 AM

This was the instructions that Kinook emailed to us on 22 Aug.

1) Exit UR
2) Download and extract http://www.kinook.com/Download/test.zip to the UR
installation path
3) Start UR
4) Perform the step that results in the error / slow import
5) ZIP and send a screenshot of the error (if error condition) and
%TEMP%\ks_trace.txt
6) As much detail as possible on the steps that resulted in the error / slow
import

----------

Where may I find the file ks_trace.txt
Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 AM

it is in your %TEMP% directory, this depends on your setting of TEMP variable, default is somewhere in documents and setting/ your user name/ ...

I don't know exactly, cause when I install windows I always change to it C:/Temp ... go you control panel/system/advanced/environment variables
Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 AM

Thanks Quant

Found it.

More precisely the full path is

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Temp\ks_trace.txt
Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

You can type %TEMP% into a Window Explorer address bar, Run dialog, File dialog, etc., to navigate there.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
You can type %TEMP% into a Window Explorer address bar ...
nice trick, I didn't know that ...
Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 PM

AV: No RTTI Data

Kinook,
I got this error twice today. It happened as I was moving a bunch of items from one node to another. This process required a frequent opening/closing of tabs. The error started when I closed one of the tabs.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 AM

AV from User Behavior

Running URp v.3.2.1

Last night I was working in a database that contained Folders for Artists and Albums. With focus on the Albums folder, individual Album Items were shown in the Child Pane. I would select the first Album for an Artist (in the Child Pane), hold Shift, and select the last Album for an Artist, then Alt-L for the Copy/Move/Link popup - Move selection to appropiate Artist Item.

The Album Item has a Form Assigned to it, and upon selecting the first Album Item if I did not wait for the associated Form to load in the Detail Pane before selecting the last Album for an Artist, I would get an Access Violation. This Violation was so servere that it would require a Closing UR.

Once I realized the user behavior that was triggering this event I was able to modify my behavior. I have seen similar behavior in other database programs - allowing one operation (loading the form for a record) to complete before beginning a new one is usually a good practice.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM

ashwken ...
good catch. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 AM

Access violation caused by right clicking on a link in the details pane of only tab and choosing Open in new Tab.

Ultra Recall Professional 3.2.1
Registered to: D--- (1-user license)
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
mimepp.dll version 3.0.4
RICHED20.DLL version 5.50.99.2010
UltraRecall.exe version 3.2.1.0
Database filename: C:\Ultra Recall Data\DASNotes.urd
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevina
[snip] Does everyone agree that, as has been posited on this thread, the AVs being experienced seem to be tab related?

Could everyone who has posted (or reads the forum and experiences AVs with Ultra Recall) email to support@kinook.com) the info found at Help | About | Install Info? Also include your Internet Explorer version. Finally, please report if you are displaying the Database Toolbar.[/snip]
Kevina: I emailed the info requested to your attention.

My personal opinion is that URp gets confused (AV's) when user has a # of tabs open & user updates the content in one of the windows & quickly switches to another tab window. The update of the first one is not necessarily completed by that point.

--
Jan Rifkinson
Ridgefield CT USA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: