Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM

tag cloud

Hi -

If there was a way to create a new pane that had a tag cloud, I think that would be amazing too...

Regards,
Bal
Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 AM

Re: tag cloud

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
[B]If there was a way to create a new pane that had a tag cloud, [snip]
OK, I'll bite..... what's a tag cloud?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 PM

Tag clouds are a visual way of seeing which tags are "the most important." Typically "importance" is a matter of frequency of occurrance.

You can read about them here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

With hundreds and thousands of items and the huge number of associated keywords we have, one of the main focuses of any software like URP3 (not just URP3) is to make finding the most commonly relevant pieces of information immediately obvious.

Let me give you an example. Suppose you imported into URP3 a hundred reports on a variety of loosely related subjects. URP3 automatically indexes and keywords the reports, yes?

Now tell me quickly - what are the major themes in those reports? What is the dominant jargon?

A tag clound makes this supremely easy to SEE. No analysis required.

Again - I think this would be a tremendous tool for URP3 users - almost as good as hoisting. (hint hint)

Regards,
Bal
Old 06-16-2007, 02:23 AM

hmmm, ... even though I'm not a fan of mass information import into database (I only insert important data), this frequency analysis seems interesting!

But to make it easier to Kinook, V1 could be just a simple list of keywords with frequencies, as a search results. The items in this search results could be a (temporary created) search items with a given keyword as a name that would search for items with that keyword on clicking ...
Old 06-16-2007, 09:56 AM

I think this function already exists, but perhaps not in the manner you would like. If you select any number of items and then choose Items | Keywords, the shared keywords for these items will be displayed.

Are these the results you need or am I misunderstanding?

By the way, PLEASE do not implement any further changes or additions to the program without first addressing its speed (and yes, I am now running it on a dual core, but as I have described my needs elsewhere, I find UR's speed positively maddening).

Jon
Old 06-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Howdy -

Quant - yes a frequency list would be a good start. But there's something very powerful in the tag cloud - at least for me.

Jon - your point about speed is important. I haven't seen anything maddening from my end, but I know full well that I'm no bellweather.

Regarding your thoughts on keywords, that's OK - I'll give it a try. But I think you have to admit that there's a difference between what you suggest and just opening URP3 and SEEING what themes are big, seem to be trending big, seem to be fading away, etc.

I know that this suggestion is ambitious. But heck it's just a suggestion box. And if you don't suggest big, then URP3 runs the risk of being overtaken by someone who says, "hmmm.... why not."

And having a big informational investment in URP3, I'd rather not see that happen.

Regards,
Bal
Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Hi Dominik,

I respectfully disagree. I know of personalbrain and I'm a fan of mindmaps. They definitely have a place.

Tag clouds are different - at least from what I've seen - in that they let you see as a function of size, boldness, color, etc. (similar to personalbrain) themes that presumably meet a threshold criteria of importance.

With personalbrain, I'm pretty sure I have to provide the initial seed. With a tag cloud, it simply plows the information and comes up with what "it thinks" are the dominant keys to the information.

Of course, your milage may (and certainly seems to) vary.

Regards,
Bal
Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 PM

External Tag Cloud?

IMHO an excellent topic to raise wordmuse.
I found that keywords are available when you export to OML. However, I haven't used this format before. This might not be exactly the right spot to ask, however:

1) Does anyone know of any good software into which we could import a UR OML file for tag cloud analysis?

2) More generically - does anyone use or recommend a piece of software that is good for flexible analysis and reporting on OML files? I guess I'm thinking along the lines of the flexibility with which one can import a CSV file into Excel then within minutes summarise, cross-tabulate and produce a report on your data.

(Again - apologies in advance if wrong place wrong time...)
Old 06-28-2007, 06:52 AM

Go the Tag Cloud!

Just used one at www.smallnetbuilder.com to quickly find info that I wanted!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:20 AM

smartnetbuilder.com ???

Maybe I'm missing something at this site, it seems to be about hardware, how does it relate to these postings?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
smartnetbuilder.com ???

Maybe I'm missing something at this site, it seems to be about hardware, how does it relate to these postings?
you need to look carefully enough
hint: right bottom ...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
smartnetbuilder.com ???
My intention behind the post was to express my greater appreciation of the concept of the Tag Cloud, having just used it in real life. I drew attention to the site for the Tag Cloud it contains, not its topic, see attached and lower right-hand corner of the indicated web page.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM

I see, said the blind man.

800x600 resolution will get you everytime, thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM

Exactly zargon ...

Without the webmaster doing a lick of work besides installing the tag cloud software on his/her site, the visitor can at once see the dominant themes.

That's what I want when I import a bunch of stuff into one of my URP3 databases.

Yup - I stick to my viewpoint on this one.

Kind Regards,
Bal
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 PM

Whoah - me like tag cloud.
Another day another cloud!
Went to news site I visit from time to time - low and behold - tag cloud! (see attached image from http://www.abc.net.au/news/tag/cloud.htm)
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: