Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 AM

UR overrides mail with same subject

Hello,

I've just bumped into a new problem.

When I want to keep my mails in UR, I save them as .eml files from Thunderbird. Then, I turn to UR to import them. Works like a charm (would definitely prefer to have a direct import, drag/drop, Launchy look-a-like, but well...)

I've just imported a mail that is an answer to an empty subject. As a result, it's name is "Re:". Problem is: another email was there somewhere in my UR database with that same name. And the result was near-catastrophic: the contents of the original email was replaced with the new one! And the new one was transformed as a linked email!

Wow. I was fortunate to notice this straight away. Because UR didn't tell me a thing.

I had to undo my operations, change the name of the original email in UR and then import the new one...

UR people: is this "copy with same name will erase existing mails" a defect or a feature? I didn't test this strange behaviour with other documents. Should I expect the same problem? Did I do something wrong? Will you fix it?

Thanks for your help,
David
Old 11-04-2006, 08:09 PM

The Import (More) option is checked by default, which will prevent duplicate items from being created for the same url value. Since the .eml file was saved to the same folder as a previously imported .eml file (with the same filename), Ultra Recall assumed it was the original file and synced the existing item with the new contents.

You can disable this feature by unchecking the "Create logically linked items for duplicate URLs" checkbox, found on the "Import (More)" tab of the Options Dialog (accessed on the menu at Tools | Options).
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks for your quick answer!

I understand now that it was a feature, not a bug (as they say ;-). I'll go uncheck that option right now.

As a matter of fact, I cannot really think of a use case where I would like to have this option checked by default and as a result, have UR silently override my notes/files/whatever. But I guess other people do.

Nice to have the workaround though.

Cheers,
David

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: