Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 AM

"Check in" command in Visual Studio

I've had a lot of success automating the various parts of my project using Visual Build, but there's one that I'm a bit stumped on. Normally in Visual Studio 2005, I need to right-click on something in Solution Explorer and click 'Check In'. I haven't been able to figure out a way of reproducing this step in Visual Build. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 PM

It would be unusual for a build process to make automated changes that are then checked into a revision control system.

If all the outputs from the build process can be derived from the inputs then no new information is generated and there is no need to store the outputs - they can be regenerated from the original inputs as required. For our build a key step is to obtain the input files from the revision control system, then build the outputs into a completely clean context. That is, we start with an empty folder, check everything that is required out into that context, then build the outputs we require.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

If you do need to check in from the build, this is typically done via build steps to checkout/in the file(s) from/to your version control system. This would be more reliable than clicking buttons in an IDE.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: