Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Sychronizing Question

I'm using 3.5, the newest version, and once again Kinook has outdone itself by providing us with a superior product that keeps getting better.

I have a simple question about synchronizing, one that I couldn't find the answer to in the help file. Is it possible to synchronize an entire urd? For example, if I have imported a large number of wiki articles, and want to update all of them (because wiki articles are frequently updated), is there a way to select all of them? All the items in folders can be synchonized, but I was wondering if this could be done for the entire urd. Or perhaps for selected parts of the urd. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator

You would first need to select all the items to synchronize. You could use an advanced search like

URL exists
and Document Size exists

to find all stored items (add and DocType equals 1 to find only stored web page items [you may need to check DocType at Tools | Options | Attributes to include it in the list]).

Then select all search results (Ctrl+3, Ctrl+A) and synchronize (Ctrl+F5).
Old 05-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks, but...

Once again Kinook is exceptionally responsive to its consumers' needs. No sooner did I post my question than Kinook responded (within minutes!). However, after following the directions (at least as I understood them), most of the items were not updated in the urd. Could you please explain once again, but perhaps this time will a little more details, how this can be done?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Re: Thanks, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
..., most of the items were not updated in the urd.
CTRL+F5 will definitely effectuate synchronization with the source. Have you checked whether (the content of) the source has changed?
Armstrong
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 AM

Not changed

Yes, I checked. In wiki articles (and please no comments that wiki articles are "suspect" -- an irrelevant topic here), the dates at the bottom of the articles indicate when the articles were last revised. If I do a synchronization on an individual item in UR, no problem, of course, the article is updated. But if I try this collectively, as instructed by Kinook, no dice. Perhaps I misunderstood Kinook's instructions, a possibility, since to me they are a little confusing.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:59 AM

Re: Not changed

Quote:
Yes, I checked. In wiki articles (and please no comments that wiki articles are "suspect" -- an irrelevant topic here), the dates at the bottom of the articles indicate when the articles were last revised. If I do a synchronization on an individual item in UR, no problem, of course, the article is updated. But if I try this collectively, as instructed by Kinook, no dice. Perhaps I misunderstood Kinook's instructions, a possibility, since to me they are a little confusing.
- find the articles you want to update
- in the search results pane, select all of them
- synchronize

which part is confusing?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 AM

Re: Not changed

Quote:
The situation you described is very odd. You did specifically mention the synchronizaiton works fine if it's done individually.
Then, you resented Kinook's instruciton perplexing, which may hold the key to solving your problem. Please kindly discourse the actual steps you performed in a way you thought to be Kinook's "confusing instruction." Thank you.
Armstrong
Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 AM

Thanks, Armsys...

Your advice is always helpful, Armsys, unlike certain others whose attitude is usually condescending, but what the heck, you meet all kinds of people in these forums!

First, I've never use advanced searches before (pick yourself up off the floor from the shock), so Kinook's instructionis were somewhat cryptic at first. I didn't even know what "add and DocType equals 1" meant (insert condescending comment here, you know who).

Please keep in mind that some (just a few?) UR customers use the program simply as a heavy-duty PIM, and rarely uses the more advanced features. Maybe we will (and should) get around to learning those features later, but for now the program works just fine for our humble needs.

Again, thanks, Armsys.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 AM

Re: Thanks, Armsys...

tfjern,
Thanks for your complement. Above all, thank you for sharing your predicament with us. We haven't resolved your synchronizaiton issue, do we? Being the passionate father of UR, Kinook was trying to be meticulously thorough. Nonetheless, IMHO, the "Advanced" Search isn't nessarily needed for the collective synchronization per se. When pressing CTRL+F5, the sychrnoziation will apply to all selected items and/or folders. If it doesn't work, then we have to find out the cause.
Armstrong
Old 05-30-2008, 07:35 AM

Problem Solved

No, after pondering Kinook's instructions the second time, I got it to work, and it worked well, indeed. If only Kinook would make some new online videos, explaining in simple, step-by-step terms the various ins-and-outs of UR (a picture is worth, etc.). The four currently online videos leave much to be desired. KISS is the keyword when making online videos or help files.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 AM

Associated suggestion for Kinook: if you are way, way too short of time to consider making new videos, why not run a video contest for users? Prize(s) for the best brief demonstration(s), posted to Youtube, of how to use a UR feature to solve problems with data/ organisation. UltraRecall gets publicity and incoming links, users get lots of helpful videos, some users get prizes.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 AM

Great Idea ...

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, here, but we need new online videos: "UR for Dummies." No disrespect, intended.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: