Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Delphi Build

Delphi 5.0
Latest VisualBuild.

I set up a few packages into a single project step.

When I select "Build start", sometimes each package will be compiled, but mostly Visual Build just reports "Build successfully completed".

I am having trouble figuring out what makes it compile each step in the build. All checkmarks are on.

I put a syntax error into one of the source files, so the date/time stamps should kick in.

I just kind of hammer away in Visual Build and eventually it does compile everything and locate the error. But mostly not.
This must be very basic.... what am I missing please?

Right-click 'rebuild selected' does seem to force a recompile of a single package. But the same action (right click rebuild selected) on the group has no effect... ?

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

This topic should answer your question, but if not, please provide more details about exactly what isn't working as you expect and we'll try to answer in more detail:

http://visualbuild.com/Manual/?builddetails.htm
Old 12-30-2005, 09:59 AM

Thank you for your prompt reponse. Attached is a screen print of a simple test project.

Application options...

1. There are no conditional anywhere (so far as I am aware). So the application option to 'implement nesting of conditional rules' should not apply. However I triesd it both checked and unchecked.

2. 'Implement nesting of conditional build rules' I think should be checked. But again, I tried it both on and off with no observable difference

...do not seem to apply or affect my issue.

I have one group called 'Compile XA'. I uncheck this box, and check it again. I use the menu Options Build/Reset and Build/Restart. I right-click 'Compile XA' and click rebuild selected.

It reports 'Build completed successfully' but never compiles the packages.

I really like (and need) this product, but I am spending too much time trying to do something very simple: compile a set of source files. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not, and I cannot figure our what is making the difference.

I can reset, then rebuild the entire project. But I am not able to reset and rebuild just one group. No matter what I check or uncheck or reset, it does not 'Compile XA'.

The problem seems to be forcing VisualBuild to recompile every project in a group. Can you come up with a simple sequence of clicks/commands I can follow that will do it *every* time?

If I check a single project for compilation, then 'Rebuild selected' works every time.

When I check the project group, I cannot get consistent results.

What can do, is UNCHECK everything else,. Then a complete rebuild will do what I have 'selected'. This won't be any fun once the project gets bigger!

I hope this makes sense.... appreciate your help. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

A couple ways:

1) Select all the steps to be rebuilt (not just the parent), then use Rebuild Selected (right-click, Build menu, or Ctrl+F7). Rebuild Selected rebuilds only the selected steps (and not children unless also selected).

2a) Choose Build | Reset (or Ctrl+Alt+F7), then select or right-click 'Compile XA' and choose Build Step Group (or Alt+F8). Note: the steps (parent and children) must be checked to be included in the build.

2b) Instead of Build | Reset, you could uncheck Compile XA (click the checkbox in the Build column or press Spacebar), then recheck it (click again). Unchecking will reset the build status of it and its children, and re-checking it will check it and its children, ready to be built again.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Whew. Thank you.

2a 'Build Group' does what I want, every time. It has been staring me in the face all this time!

My experience for the other methods do not work. I saw them in the help file, I tried them many times in many ways.

1. Individual steps can be rebuilt on demand easily. This method does not provide for rebuilding a group, even if the individual steps are individually checked. Right-click/Rebuild will build any cvurrently hilighted step, but right-click/rebuild the group will not perform the child steps, it just marks the parent as completed.

2b simply doesn't work. Just marks parent as 'completed'. Does not compile steps within a group.

Certainly, forcing a rebuild of a group must be done via the 'build group' menu command. Other methods may work sometimes under some circumstances, but I cannot nail down what those curcumstances may be.

I'm good. 'Rebuild Group' does it for me. Appreciate your patience and prompt support, thank you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: