Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 11-21-2006, 06:25 AM

Lightbulb Shared access over local network (LAN)

We have now invested in 3 UR-licenses and we will be sharing information over local area network (1 Gbit LAN so no problem with speed). We will see how easy it is to avoid stepping on each others data. Often a user will sit on the same record/data for a long time, and if someone else at the same time change something....

Thus, I hope it has been given serious consideration to include some minimum features to handle multi-user access to records and information. It should be easy to at least make a mechanism that set access to READ ONLY if a record is already opened and held by someone.

Please consider!

Regards
Viggo

Last edited by Viggo; 11-21-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 AM

Happy new year!

I would appreciate a comment about this topic, eg. shared or multi-user access over LAN.

Regards
Viggo
Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

It won't be in the next version (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=993), but could make the version after that.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 AM

Unhappy

Hi,

>>It won't be in the next version<<

That is disappointing :-(

What time frame are we talking about then? Before the summer 2007?

Do you have any ideas on how this functionlaty will be implemented. I find a strong need for flagging of objects/records being opened in edit mode, and force read-only mode for all others attempting to open same data (with indicator - pref. showing who is editing)

It would be real nice with a user ident and user logon, but using the workstation network/windows logon will be fine too.

I really hope you will find time for focus on this!

I must add that we are very happy the functionality in Ultra Recall and it seem to be in a class by itself for handling a variety of information formats/types very well, compbined with powerful keywording and searching. It looks like a tool where there is a lot to learn. Have you considered a video demo (camtasia?) showing how to become a poweruser fast? ;-)

Regards
-Viggo.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Viggo
Hi,
What time frame are we talking about then? Before the summer 2007?
We can't provide any estimates on that yet.

Quote:
Do you have any ideas on how this functionlaty will be implemented. I find a strong need for flagging of objects/records being opened in edit mode, and force read-only mode for all others attempting to open same data (with indicator - pref. showing who is editing)

It would be real nice with a user ident and user logon, but using the workstation network/windows logon will be fine too.
We're thinking along these lines for starters: No separate login (use the Windows username to identify); only allow one user to edit item at once (all others open read-only with some indicator of who is editing); auto-refresh on change by another user; per-user global settings.

Quote:
I must add that we are very happy the functionality in Ultra Recall and it seem to be in a class by itself for handling a variety of information formats/types very well, compbined with powerful keywording and searching. It looks like a tool where there is a lot to learn. Have you considered a video demo (camtasia?) showing how to become a poweruser fast? ;-)
Thanks for the positive feedback. There are some demos at
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/demos.html
and we hope to add more in the future. Some other resources that may be helpful:
http://www.kinook.com/blog/?cat=8
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=22
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/samples.htm
Old 11-14-2007, 03:18 AM

Question

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
We're thinking along these lines for starters: No separate login (use the Windows username to identify); only allow one user to edit item at once (all others open read-only with some indicator of who is editing); auto-refresh on change by another user; per-user global settings.
This sounds fine as a starter scheme for multiuser access.

Because of this limitation we are not able to take UR into use. expect for sporadic singleuser usage

I have now waited patiently. Do you have an updated status of where this feature is on the "todo" list, and when to expect this.

Kind regards
-Viggo.

Last edited by Viggo; 11-14-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

It's on the road map (Multi-user enhancements), although we were hoping for more users to add their vote for this feature by now.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
It's on the road map (Multi-user enhancements), although we were hoping for more users to add their vote for this feature by now.
OK, I'll add my voice to the chorus, but I'd also like to see the additional database functions and some improvements on Reporting before I can turn anything loose on my non-geeky office users.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 PM

Personally I have no use for this feature.

I suspect most people use UR just for themselves or for a very, very limited number of people in their business / household (mainly due to the relatilevely advanced concepts used).

But regarding your desire Viggo:
Might it be an option to split your UR database in a number of separate databases (views) that are especially suited to minimize the number of times you get conflict with the other users?

You could probably combine something like that with SQLite to still search multiple databases at once.

Last edited by Quantum7; 11-14-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I created related thread recently, with no replies, http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3177

You won't get many people voting for this feature cause most of "us" are single users. But if you want to target business users, this feature would be certainly on the top of the roadmap, whether someone asks for it or not ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: