Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 AM

Editing linked CSV and RTF files

I often have lists containing 10 - 20 entries and need to create new Info Items for each one of these entries. It appears to me that the only way to create multiple info items with a single operation is to import them from a CSV, RTF or plain text file.

I have included links to external copies of both CSV and RTF files in my database so that I can edit the contents of one of these files from within UR to create an import list that can subsequently be imported to a suitable place in the Data Explorer Structure.

However, if I edit one of these linked external files, the resulting item changes to become an internal (stored) copy of the modified file. Both the Synchronize and the 'Store Contents' commands can only then be used to replace the modified text with the original text from the external file so I cannot use those commands to transfer the changes to the external file ready for importing.

I have included .doc .rtf .csv and .xls in the "File extensions to open stored documents writeable:" list and I am able to edit a linked MSWord document in the internal browser window and save the external copy of this file without a problem. Why can't I do the same with their RTF or CSV equivalents?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Is it really faster to edit a CSV or RTF file with the entries and import than to just insert the items directly into UR? UR supports quickly entering multiple items via Insert (insert child) or Shift+Enter (insert sibling), typing the name, and repeating for additional items.

It is not actually intended for linked files to be editable at all directly from UR. The next release of UR will support two-way file sync, so you will be able to explicitly store the file, edit internally, and then sync back to the file system. For now, you should just edit the linked file externally (Ctrl+J).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: