Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

for UR 3.5 beta lock tabs

The ability to open multiple Tabs, for example, a Tab each for each of Contacts, Tasks, Web Sites, etc (each of those, or any others being a Core Organizing Folder in the Tree) ... And to set a Hoist on each Tab so only that Core Organizing Folder and its Children are visible - is very nice.

Now, for great convenience, I want to be able to preserve those Tabs from accidental closing, and from session to session, in fact I may want them to be as if a permanent fixture in the UR Interface...

Therefore, can we please have a context menu for Tabs something like "Lock Tab" (obviously un-checking would unlock).

It might also be nice to add the Hoist/UnHoist Command on the Tab Context Menu too...

Anyone else like this idea?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 AM

Re: for UR 3.5 beta lock tabs

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
[snip] can we please have a context menu for Tabs something like "Lock Tab" (obviously un-checking would unlock).[snip] It might also be nice to add the Hoist/UnHoist Command on the Tab Context Menu too... Anyone else like this idea? [/snip]
Yes. And it has been requested a number of times, not to say that it shouldn't be requested again.

One would think that it was a no-brainer but I guess that's not the case as it hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Re: for UR 3.5 beta lock tabs

Quote:
[i]Therefore, can we please have a context menu for Tabs something like "Lock Tab" (obviously un-checking would unlock).

It might also be nice to add the Hoist/UnHoist Command on the Tab Context Menu too...

Anyone else like this idea? [/B]
I think it is a great idea. The hoist suggestion seems simple enough, but I wonder how the locking tab would work. Some people might envision a locked tab as a static view of an item. Or the item could be changed, but you are locked into a view of that item only. Finally, you could use the locked tab to navigate away to other items, but the tab itself would remain. I prefer the second option.

Jon
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 AM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Yes, somehow preserving tabs would be good

Allowing each tab to have it's own hoist level would be interesting, but no where near as important as just preserving the tab arrangements with each database.

Also, having the ability to use multiple layouts is very nice, but it would be even better if they could be attached to databases. So, open a database, and a truckload of visible configuration arrives with it, such as tabs and panel layouts - how they're docked, etc.

I like this forum. People here are really paying attention.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Unhappy Whoa - tabs do seem to persist

I'd swear that I tested this: opened a database, opened a bunch of tabs, closed the database, re-opened it to find that tabs didn't persist.

HOWEVER, I just now opened a database with all the tabs open where I left them.

Sigh. Is there a trick to doing this consistently?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Re: Whoa - tabs do seem to persist

Quote:
Originally posted by TimP

I just now opened a database with all the tabs open where I left them.

Sigh. Is there a trick to doing this consistently?
Check Options|General

Reload selection and tabs from last database session:

If checked, all previously loaded tabs and selected items will be reloaded when a database is reopened (uncheck to disable this globally, or hold down Shift while opening a database to bypass just for that database).
Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 AM

Talking

I am hooked on multiple tabs tied to hoisted tree views. It is a feature that I couldn't function without and I like this discussion about locked tabs. I'd like to see the ability, on a locked tab, to retain the label of the root of the hoisted tree regardless of what sub-item within that tree I'm looking at. I have enough tabs open that I can't read the whole name anyway. This way, when I mouse over the tab and see the name, it remains the "heading" of the hoisted tree, rather than whatever sub-item I was looking at. Most of my sub-item names have nothing to do with the tree root name so I can't tell what hoisted tree I'm in by the sub-item title.

Am I clear as mud? Do others use the tabs and hoisted trees this way and would this be helpful?

Marty
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM

I Ilike that - excellent idea...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Ditto

I like the option of locking the title of a hoisted tab.

Cool. Please make it so.

Regards,
Bal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: