Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 PM

new problem with mime viewer - one machine only

Within the past week or so, something happened on my laptop that causes a problem with stored .eml messages not being displayed in the MIME viewer - if they are HTML messages.

When I browse to the .eml item in UR, IE is displayed in the background with "page not found" and the IE download dialog pops up ("do you want to open or save this file?").

This only happens on my laptop; the same items display fine in UR on my desktop.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:54 PM

When you say "IE is displayed in the background ...", do you mean IE is displayed in the Item Details pane, or an actual instance of IE? What happens when you choose "open" from the displayed IE download dialog?

If it just recently started occuring, I would suspect a changed IE security setting, can I assume you didn't install an updated version of Ultra Recall 1.3b at the point you first saw this changed behaviour? The version 1.3b install has been updated in response to a few reported minor issues, but I don't believe any of these changes could result in the problem being reported.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 AM

Yes, I meant IE is displayed in the item details pane.

When I select "open" from the dialog, the email message is opened in PocoMail (my default mailer).

I don't think the problem is from installing an updated Ultra Recall; I did download and install the latest when I first noticed the problem, though, thinking that it might help reset things.

It's probably some IE security update but there are so many of these it's pretty much impossible to keep track of what they all are, and I have my machine set to automatically download and install Windows updates.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Okay, I finally solved this. I'm not sure exactly what led to the problem, but I compared the file type details for .eml files between my desktop and laptop (I'm using Directory Opus, which allows a fine degree of control over file type settings).

I made sure that the MIME type setting for the .eml file type was message/rfc822, which it was on my desktop but not my laptop (it was previously just blank on my laptop). Now HTML messages are again showing up in the item details pane when exported from PocoMail 4.

I suppose playing around with different default mail clients somehow led to this problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: