Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Paste into UR a PDF snaphsot does not work

I started to have the habit to collect all my info into UR. I came across with the following issue, that probably is more general than the example I describe:
I hava a PDF (let say image only) and I took a snapshot of a part of it: the image is copied to the clipboard. Then I use Win+V to paste the clipboard content (the img) in a new item of UR. But the paste does not work. If I go to UR and I paste the clipboard img to an already present text main pane, the img is ok within the text Item. Yet if I go do Data Explorer and I select an Item (included imported Items) and then I select Edit/Paste or Special Paste, this is not possible since all Paste commands are grey.
Strange thing at last: If I paste the img clipboard to a Word document and I select the img and Ctrl+C, Win+V, everything works again.
Where am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Anthony
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 AM

You are probably doing nothing wrong....see

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2853
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. It seems strange though. In the clipboard there is a bmp simple image (it seems), which can be pasted even in WinPad. And indeed it can be pasted directly in UR main pane.

So now I am puzzled.
1. What is needed to make Win+V successful and what does not make it so?
1.1. Does Win+V only paste txt, MS word and IE (simple) webpages?
2. Can an upgrade of the riched20.dll to the latest version solve the matter (the version I installed is the one of Office 2003)?

Thanks for any help.
Anthony

Last edited by Anthony; 05-09-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Copy/paste of image clipboard data into the UR Data Explorer (DE) pane is not supported (pasting of image data into a text item is supported by the rich edit control). When copying an image from Word, Word also includes RTF format on the clipboard, which is supported in the DE.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Thanks very clear now.
Two good examples that use a small window on-the-fly as an interface to clip into the main program is Onenote, and WebResearch (which works also outside the web). I recall that also Evernote v.2 was like that (and for the matter for just the Web also Mybase+webcollect plug-in). I hope that Ultrarecall will move in that direction too, while keeping its CPU and Ram resources very light.
Thanks again.
Anthony

Last edited by Anthony; 05-10-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to vogelap
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Two good examples that use a small window on-the-fly as an interface to clip into the main program is Onenote, and WebResearch (which works also outside the web). I recall that also Evernote v.2 was like that (and for the matter for just the Web also Mybase+webcollect plug-in). I hope that Ultrarecall will move in that direction too, while keeping its CPU and Ram resources very light.
+1!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 AM

one operation is pasting a clipboard (text, picture, ...) another one is pasting a file (whether it's an image file or whatever).

I prefer not to have any intermediate window ... I see requests coming down the line where people request change of file name, button for this, button for that ... the same as that "nice" link/move or import dialogue

Last edited by quant; 05-12-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM

~
Premise: A good program is not the program that has everything, but it is the program that has the essential things, one cannot do without. (Obviously what is an essential thing is not independent from the scope of the program).

UR has already an on-the-fly window that can be made active as an option feature, to chose the item tree in which to paste what is in the clipboard. Mybase+Webcollect has -- more or less-- the same on-the-fly window (but just only for the web: -1). It appears without the the need to have the main program open (even in the portable Mybase version), and which shows tree tabs:
1) the item tree to select (as in the UR option once it is made active),
2) the Mybase file to be used (UR have no choice and paste the clipboard in the last open UR file),
3) a window to insert/change the title and the contents from the clipboard of the new item that is going to be pasted.

Using Win+V that calls the (already present) on-the-fly window with the extra features 2) and 3) will have my +1 point.
Anthony
Old 05-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
~
Premise: A good program is not the program that has everything
maybe this could work for you as a middle men?
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/clipstory/
Old 05-17-2010, 02:47 AM

many thanks Quant for your suggestion: I would give it a try!
In fact I am used to:
a) Clipmate which has also a portable version, and it is very powerful, quite similar to clipstory, it seems.
b) Mybase too has a very powerful feature of capturing what is in the clipboard: it gives also some options, with a contextual menu: paste before/after, as sibling/child item etc. without calling on the foreground its application (Mybase should be open though).
This is why I was a bit surprise that UR, which is able to index pdfs, it was not able to capture a simple snaphsot.

Last edited by Anthony; 05-17-2010 at 02:54 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: