Kinook Software Forums

Go Back   Kinook Software Forums > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2006, 10:34 AM
dmahling dmahling is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 09-01-2006
Location: boston
Posts: 26
Question outlook message store not found

Hi,

I am a new UR user - trying to switch over from ECCO+InfoSelect.

Just installed and getting familiar.Everything works fine... for a while. Then I get the following error message:

Error synchronizing item: Outlook message store not found.

I have outlook and UR running. I link an OL item successfully into UR. I have a good URL (GUID) for that item. I can synch the item (Cntrl F5). I try again. Suddenly the error message comes up. I did not close OL, I did not close UR. From now on I cant link or synch at all. Obviously the OL/UR connection is gone.

Why does it break? How to re-establish it quickly?

regards,

Dirk Mahling
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,752
I'm not sure what would cause that. You did nothing else in UR or OL between when it worked and stopped working? Does restarting OL and/or UR help?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2006, 05:15 PM
dmahling dmahling is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 09-01-2006
Location: boston
Posts: 26
restarting UR and/or OL did not solve it.
rebooting the system solved it. but I am not sure how soon the issue will re-appear. Once I have more info, I'll post it.

thanks,

DIrk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
glenviewjeff glenviewjeff is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11
I've been running into this issue frequently lately. Any fixes on this?

Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,752
We've never seen it or been able to reproduce. UR calls some MAPI and Outlook APIs to determine the available profiles and message stores, and that error message indicates the APIs returned no information. I'm not really sure what could cause that -- sounds like something flaky with MAPI and/or the Outlook object model.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
glenviewjeff glenviewjeff is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11
I believe I may have discovered the source and fix for this problem.

When I opened the control panel->mail->show profiles, I saw a bunch of strange profiles that are created by my anti-virus software, Avast.

I deleted these profiles, and the problem went away. I assume you need to disable the Outlook integration to prevent these from being re-created in the future.

Maybe at some point, I'll email Avast or look into a better solution.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Copyright 1999-2019 Kinook Software, Inc.